Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Making Mead: Step By Step

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
joey11bball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Could you use clover honey as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey11bball View Post
Could you use clover honey as well?
Absolutely. Just keep in mind that the better quality honey you use, the better mead comes out.

Clover honey results in a very simple mead. Often it's used for fruit meads. Try fermenting it with blueberries or other fruit. Just be careful the fruit doesn't clog the airlock, otherwise this happens:

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionalChaos View Post
Defiantly planning some mead towards the end of summer when I pull honey from the bee hive! Thanks for inspiration and motivation
Who doesn't want you to make mead??

I've wanted to try making a mead, but I also want to try it before I make it. No use in spending over a year one something I may hate :P

Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
joey11bball
Recipes 

Wow that looks like it was quite an explosion. Could you leave it in the primary for longer then a month or would the yeast cake put in some off flavors after a while?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Wow that looks like it was quite an explosion. Could you leave it in the primary for longer then a month or would the yeast cake put in some off flavors after a while?
That's my question as well. Could I just leave it in the primary for 9-12 months and then bottle it or would it be better to bottle after a month and let the bottles set?

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 715

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones View Post
That's my question as well. Could I just leave it in the primary for 9-12 months and then bottle it or would it be better to bottle after a month and let the bottles set?
A lot of people will wait until fermentation is complete (usually 1-2 months, sometimes faster depending on several factors), rack off the lees (yeast, sediment), and then wait until completely clear to bottle.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
Quantum
Recipes 

A couple things to note here, first off I'd recommend always boiling your water and honey into a wort before adding to your fermenter, you never know what pathogens or just odd flavor additives may have ended up in or on your honey bottles.
I've also found that a yeast starter goes a long way with mead, since the fermentation is typically so slow to begin with you want your yeast as happy as it can be by the time you pitch it.
Honey lacks yeast nutrients which is why the fermentation is typically so slow, one can utilize a Yeast Nutrient and Diammonium Phosphate (a mineral suppliment) to expedite a healthier fermentation.

Also if you're concerned about your fruit additives clogging your airlocks, you might try a concentrate instead of raw fruit. I use Welsh's juice extract in my melomel to great success.

Thanks for the tut'

Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
A couple things to note here, first off I'd recommend always boiling your water and honey into a wort before adding to your fermenter, you never know what pathogens or just odd flavor additives may have ended up in or on your honey bottles.
Boiling is not needed. You can do it, but it's not needed.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Boiling is not needed. You can do it, but it's not needed.
Yes, there are two camps of thought on this one, and it's been argued back and forth for a while. In the end, both ways make mead, you just have to decide for yourself which makes the best mead for you.

Personally, I'm a no-boil guy. Primarily because I'm lazy, but also because a lot of the honey I use has been processed already, and is very clean. More raw honeys, like those straight from the hive will benefit from heating up (don't boil!) and skimming all the junk that comes to the top. If you want more on the heat/don't heat debate, search the mead forum, there's plenty there.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What temperature is this fermented at? What temperature is it 'condition' (is that the right term) after racking once?
This is a 4L or 1gallon carboy to 3lbs of Honey?

Check out my Home Brewing Blog at downstairsbrewer.com and my Travel Discussion Board at chattytourist.com

Fermenting - Vienna SMASH with Saaz
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Honey Orange Hefeweizen

On Deck - Country Saison

Quick Reply