Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Making Blueberry Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
BeantownR6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Making Blueberry Beer

im bored so thought i would share some photos.

skipping ahead to after fermenting the beer, i added crushed camden tablets to kill the yeast days before racking onto blueberries.

pasteurize 5 lbs of frozen blueberries

drain liquid

smooshed up in sanitized freezer bag

rack from pimary to secondary

in the secondary for 2 more weeks, then cold crashed and kegged

its got a nice color and i add a scoop of blueberries to the beer. its not overpowering at all , nice refreshing blueberry beer this is a winner!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Looks delicious. Is it overly sweet considering the campden?

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

no its not very sweet at all. its more tart, but i used the white labs east coast ale yeast which could contribute to that i think.

i broke my hydrometer so i didn't get to take a gravity reading when it was done fermenting or on the blueberries. but im off to the lhbs this weekend i guess i can check it from the keg.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

So did you put the smooshed blueberries into the beer when pouring it into a glass? Or did you put the blueberries into the secondary? The writeup isn't fully clear I guess. Does it have a nice blueberry flavor? I'm very curious about this. I brewed up a 1 gallon test batch recently of a blueberry wheat, and after hearing a lot about blueberry flavor fermenting out, I doubt I achieved anything more than color from the berries. And after taste testing it somewhat-halfway through, I didn't taste any blueberry.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

the smooshed blueberries went into the secondary. when i pour a glass, i have new blueberries i put in just for fun. they float up and down and are tasty after the beer is gone. i used the campden tablets to kill the yeast so the blueberries didn't ferment. the flavor is there, its faint and not overpowering. i used frozen blueberries cause the price of 5 lbs would have been too expensive. im sure fresh berries would have been better.

beninan since your from maine, you may have been to boston beer works, that is where i got the idea cause im from boston. they say they use fresh maine blueberries and if i lived out there i would go pick 5lbs. when i was a kid i used to pick the small wild ones.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I actually used Wyman's Maine frozen blueberries for that batch. I added them at the last 5 minutes of the boil to help kill anything growing in them, and they were added straight to the primary. I wouldn't be surprized if there is no blueberry influence at all because of the boil and the primary fermenting, but it was only a test batch after all. I guess I'll have to make another batch of this add the blueberry at secondary, after stabilizing the beer, and compare the results.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply