Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Made a lightbox - first time using it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
riored4v
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Made a lightbox - first time using it

Trying to get a nice collection of beer photos going. Using a cheapy Canon point and shoot camera.

Feedback on it? Thinking of switching the backdrop to a piece of white paper??

No-Bull Kolsch2 by riored4v, on Flickr

This was the other attempt, but not really happy with how it turned out

No-Bull Kolsch by riored4v, on Flickr

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Did you use some sort of diffuser over your lighting? One of the challenges I had with my light box was the placement if the lights, brightness, and adjusting settings on my camera. It was hard for me to get the best of both worlds, enough illumination without the glare spots. Not having a tripod for my camera made the picture taking of difficult objects tiresome after a while.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Forgot to add your pics look great considering your camera. Try shifting the lights back an inch or two towards the back of the light box to see if you can get the glare on both sides of the glass less visible without creating a shadow on the front of the glass.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I actually like the second pic better because of the amount of detail in it versus the first pic.

More diffuse light is good in some cases. I can see a fair bit of detail of the lights in the reflections so you might want to move toward something that provides you with a nice even rectangle of light to reflect.

I don't mind the background you have now. Try it with white and see how it looks and works with your camera. I kind of like that linen background and it's always nice to have a bit of variety. Try black, too, and see how that looks.

I'm dealing with similar things once in a while. I do the photography for a local brewery (http://grandriverbrewing.com/our-bee...r-round-beers/). Those are my pics there. My camera set up is okay: Canon 5d mkII. But I have a very ghetto light set up. Email me personally if you want more details. I'm using t-shirts and white sheets. LOL

Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

With the advice here and another forum I made a few changes and tried again with another beer.

Moved the camera further back and used a different (pure white) backdrop. Also doubled up on the layers of cloth to try and diffuse the light a bit better. Kind of worked but maybe I need to move the lights further away.

Ungrapeful2 by riored4v, on Flickr

Ungrapeful by riored4v, on Flickr

Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Adjusted the white balance a bit and tried again

Ungrapeful3 by riored4v, on Flickr

Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
pcollins
Recipes 

Moving the lights toward the back (away from the camera) would be good. Another thing that would help is getting some light right on the background to blow it out to white a bit more. Your adjusting the WB was a good move. Depending on the look you're going for you might want to try lighting just the backdrop but keeping the light on the glass the same. The rectangles definitely look better.

Great work!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins View Post
Moving the lights toward the back (away from the camera) would be good. Another thing that would help is getting some light right on the background to blow it out to white a bit more. Your adjusting the WB was a good move. Depending on the look you're going for you might want to try lighting just the backdrop but keeping the light on the glass the same. The rectangles definitely look better.

Great work!
Are you saying cut a hole in the back of the box and setup a light source from the back? Or a light from the front shining in to the box?

This is the design of my current box:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07...to-studio.html

I want a clear beer picture, but it would be great to show the clarity as well.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
pcollins
Recipes 

I'm thinking of something so that the background is lit from the front or side based on that link that you sent of the light box.

I've used exactly the same thing and it's just a matter of controlling where the light falls and spills. I use a similar set up now but not cardboard. I use white sheets for diffusing the light and black t-shirts for controlling where the light spills.

If you can picture a similar set up to yours I have white near the background to allow light to spill onto it but then a black strip to block light and then white near the front of the box for light for the beer and to shape the reflections from the glass. This allows light to fall on the background to push it toward white but still have the subject reasonably lit.

Am I making any sense? LOL

Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins View Post
I'm thinking of something so that the background is lit from the front or side based on that link that you sent of the light box.

I've used exactly the same thing and it's just a matter of controlling where the light falls and spills. I use a similar set up now but not cardboard. I use white sheets for diffusing the light and black t-shirts for controlling where the light spills.

If you can picture a similar set up to yours I have white near the background to allow light to spill onto it but then a black strip to block light and then white near the front of the box for light for the beer and to shape the reflections from the glass. This allows light to fall on the background to push it toward white but still have the subject reasonably lit.

Am I making any sense? LOL
I think I'm following you. The table I'm using has limited space so I think I might try a different location so I can move the light on the side further away and then try to get something from the front to try and fill it in better.

I would be curious to see what your setup looks like. I'm pretty happy with how the last picture turned out though. I think I might try lowering the ISO to 100 to cut down on some noise and re-working the lighting.

Quick Reply