Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Imperial Stout Brewday Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Imperial Stout Brewday Photos

Here are some pics from my labor day brew session. It had been two months since I'd last brewed and I needed to scratch the itch. Since the pipeline is still pretty well stocked I decided to make an Imperial Stout that could be cellared and consumed in 2010.

Here are the whole Columbus hops that I got from Rebel Brewer. Only going to use half of these in this batch.

The specialty grains that I used (decided to only use about 1/2 of the roasted barley)

Crushing the grain. It was pretty big grain bill for a 5.5 gallon batch. My biggest yet at 22.25 lbs. Picked up the corded drill on sale at Lowes and it paid dividends right away. Was using a cordless drill for a little while with limited success but the corded drill had no problems at all.

Here is the entire grain bill crushed. The ale pale was nearly overflowing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

A closeup of my crush quality. The Barley Crusher is still set at its factory setting and I regulary get 65% - 75% efficiency. Imperial beers are lower than lower OG beers ofcourse. On average I'm @ 70% and I'm happy with that. There are still a few whole kernels left but the last time I tried to tweak my crush I ended up with a stuck sparge. Screw going through that again!

Time to head outside where my hot liquor tun was heating 9.75 gallons of water to 185 degrees. Here is a shot of my brew stand freshly painted and polished.

After letting the strike water heat up the mash tun the water temp reached 170 and I douged in.

Hit my mash temp right on. I'm happy that I finally have Beersmith dialed in to my system. What a wonderful tool on brew days.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

First wort hops into the boil kettle.

First runnings from the mash collected in the boil kettle. Wasn't really able to get any good pictures of the boil because of all the steam.

Time to cool the wort!

Boil started with 7.2 gallons and I collected nearly 6 gallons in the fermenter. One last photo before going into the fermentation chamber.

Overall it was a great brew day. I'm hoping this recipe turns out as planned and ages nicely. Probably going to wait a few months to bottle this one. Once I do it's going up north where I can't get to it very often and will condition for 6 months. Hopefully its a tasty brew!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great photos, and man what a nice system. I too brewed an imperial stout on Labor day. Did you follow a particular recipe?

I see you mashed at 157; seems like that an imperial stout should be plenty dextrinous as a function of its huge grain bill. Most single infusion recipes I've seen use a temp somewhere between 150-154 F. What are your thoughts?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
the_Roqk

Recipes 

I am looking into making a RIS soon after my brown ale is finished fermenting. That way I can rack on top of my Irish ale yeast.

Got a few questions for you schweaty. Since you use brewsmith just wondering about your recipe and if you could post it? Nice brew rig too. I was gonna make a 3 tier system and now I'm leaning towards making a single tier like yours. I still use propane and want the ease and comfort of a single tier system for a possible change to electric. Do you have plans on for brewrig build? What I mean is, did you build it yourself and if so do you have plans (schematic)? If not then I believe I can figure it out from your photos. Thanks for the post.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great looking system you have there bro! The stout looks good enough to drink right out of the kettle. It'll be nice to pop one of those bottles open on a cold February night next year!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Joe C
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's a very impressive setup.

Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Really nice brew stand. Very similar to my setup. They're great, aren't they?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Very nice setup, I am jealous.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Mike M
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Nice. Thanks for sharing the pictures and for the help. You see, I was on the fence about my next brew, but no more. RIS it is.

Quick Reply