Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > From homebrewer to probrewer (Long)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #21
stamandster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Another inspiring thread! Looking forward to more posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRLynch View Post
Well done! That space is plenty of room for you, we've got a 1300 square foot space for our nano and I'm still marveling at how much room there is. What's the fermentation plan? Cooperage? After thinking about it, we ended up settling on a 3 bbl brite tank from Stout Tanks. The idea of carbing six 1/2 barrels for one double batch was just a nightmare waiting to happen, so we'll bottle and keg off of the brite. Pricey, but Stout is $500 less than others in the 3 bbl range, you should check them out.

More pics!
SO... ya, I am force carbbing in cornies. I have been kegging for a while now, and here is what I do.
1. sanitize and prep corny
2. fill corny almost to line near top, some weld mark or something
3. close and gas up to 40psi
4. wait 1 day
5. gas up to 40psi again
6. chill and serve

SO, there's a couple of things that I do that is different. I don't force carb cold, and I don't leave the gas connected. it works ok, and I can adjust co2 in the fridge. I usually get pretty close to the vol of co2 i want however.

I would love to have a large tank to carb in, but i dont have the cold room or glycol to support it yet. This will be the first thing I purchase after the brewery makes a profit.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #23
itshanney
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclo
Great start! Have you tried kickstarter yet?
KS is a bit tricky because you must provide a product for them to buy. Since you are not investing but "pre-ordering" a finished product.

As a final stab to the gut, alcohol and tobacco are prohibited by KS terms of service. Basically, they're not touching anything in this area that's regulated by both federal and state governments.

But maybe there's something out there that can work on KS.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

good luck

Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
itsernst
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am jealous just reading this. Best of luck.

Pumpkin Ale

Kegged
Nada!
Secondary
Nada!

Primary
Brassberry Lambic

Up Next

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #26
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshanney View Post
KS is a bit tricky because you must provide a product for them to buy. Since you are not investing but "pre-ordering" a finished product.

As a final stab to the gut, alcohol and tobacco are prohibited by KS terms of service. Basically, they're not touching anything in this area that's regulated by both federal and state governments.

But maybe there's something out there that can work on KS.
Not sure exactly how true this is, there are several breweries on kickstarter, among them a local group of friends who were able to fund a sucessful 40k campaign for their business. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...any-craft-beer

That being said, Kickstarter didn't make a lot of sense to us due to our situation, but for others it might be perfect. I just didn't like the idea of paying them a percentage when all they're really doing is putting my stuff on a website that I still have to create all the content for. I can do that myself pretty easily with the Paypal donate button

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
robqualls
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Living the dream my man, living the dream. Good for you wish you nothing but the best!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
NightHawk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gointomexico View Post
This is the older system FYI, it is all SS now. This is because I had problems holding temps in the HLT with the HDPE drum, exactly as you suspected.

The old procedure went like this. The night before, I would top off the BK with water to degas overnight. Boulder has chlorine in their water. Brew day started, and I fired up the kettle and milled grain. It takes about an hour to get the water to strike temp. I doughed in and topped off the BK again. 30 minutes later, the BK would be boiling. I would then xfer 55 gallons of boiling water into the HDPE HLT. By the time all the water was in the HLT, it was at 180F. after 30 minutes, the water would be around 175ish. I would lauter, then begin fly sparging. After an hour of fly sparging the HLT water would be around 140ish.

This was the procedure with an unheated HLT. My efficiency was pretty good about 75-80%. However, I couldn't double batch easily with this procedure because the HLT couldn't be heated. Also, when I fired the BK full blast it would melt the water heater blanket around the HLT. I figured that couldn't be good. So, I saved a little cash and got some SS drums and another burner to direct fire the HLT.

thanks for replying... It's too bad that you did not find a way to use a HDPE HLT. My would love it if I could find a way around another SS drum. Oh well, 3rd SS drum it is..

Anyway, what burner are you using that heats 55 gallons that quickly?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #29
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

40K through Kickstarter, amazing! I think its the way I wrote it. A buddy at work said, you should do kickstarter. So I wrote it up right fast and published it. They turned me down saying, "this isn't what were looking for."

NightHawk, if you are wanting to use HDPE you could use it for a mash tun. I didn't have any problems with using it for a mash tun. I could hold my mash temp for an hour and I did not even have a lid for it. It would be really inconvenient, but you could use a 2 vessel system? The pro's I talked to used fermenters for their HLT. They would boil the water, and knock it out into a fermenter, then use that liquor to sparge with.

This is the burner I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160798944175...84.m1497.l2649
I bought the second one from them because when i moved from the home brewery to the pro brewery i broke some of the tips on the first one. I ordered some spare tips just in case i break some more.

When I ran the burners with a regulator, it took over 2 hours to boil. I have over 400k btu's down the line to the brewery on 1.25" black iron pipe. The meter runs 7" of water column and black iron pipe is 100' to the kettle. I run .75" line around the kettle to make the connections.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #30
itshanney
Recipes 

Do you think you could bootstrap it at all? Rumor is St. Arnold's in Houston offered "free beer for life" to those who bought their fermenting tanks and mash tuns. In their old brewery, you could see "Saint John", "Saint Robyn" or "Saint Joseph" on the tanks. These names represented the people that paid the $75K for the tanks. In return, they got free beer for life.

Quick Reply