*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > From homebrewer to probrewer (Long)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I am very hopeful that you hit a home-run here. What are you doing in order to separate your brewery operation from the tap-room and what is your 'display' plan? (Going with the great glass wall?) What volumes are you targeting for both your taproom and your distribution and what channels are you using? (self or third party distribution?) Have you brewed a good deal on your 1.5 system or are you scaling up from smaller home-brew batches? If so what's your process for ensuring consistency in your beers? Are you serving food at the brew-pub?

As you can see, I'm on the same path, just a bit back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
NightHawk
Recipes 

First off. Congrats!

Secondly, your brewery blog lists that you have 1 SS drum and 2 HDPE drums. Mind if I ask how that works out ? I am guessing you are using the SS as your brew kettle and one of the HDPE's as a MLT, but what I can not figure out is how you are heating in your HDPE HLT?

I currently have a system using 2 SS drums, so you have my interest..

Thanks..

Old 08-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well done! That space is plenty of room for you, we've got a 1300 square foot space for our nano and I'm still marveling at how much room there is. What's the fermentation plan? Cooperage? After thinking about it, we ended up settling on a 3 bbl brite tank from Stout Tanks. The idea of carbing six 1/2 barrels for one double batch was just a nightmare waiting to happen, so we'll bottle and keg off of the brite. Pricey, but Stout is $500 less than others in the 3 bbl range, you should check them out.

More pics!

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Nice, we have been looking at Stout, looks like a good product. We have some friends in the pipe and fabrication industry so we may make our own instead.

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
Jim1234
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A dream!!!!! I think my wife would leave..... GOOD LUCK

Old 09-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
good for you. lots of luck for having the cajones to do what we all wish we could do
I decided that if I didn't try, I would have regretted it.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclo View Post
Great start! Have you tried kickstarter yet?
I did about two years ago. They turned me down, so I gave up. Since that time multiple brewers have started kick-starter campaigns, but I haven't tried again.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktraver97ss View Post
What are you going to be using as a fermentor? We are currently doing 25-30g batches and the main thing holding us back from going bigger is dropping all that coin on a big 100g fementor.
I am using 55 gallon SS drums as fermenters. I am modifying the lids so that they fit a corny keg lid. The current plan for transfers is a self priming diaphragm pump, http://morebeer.com/view_product/173...Beer_Transfers. The pump works for about 150 gallons or so, then overheats. Not the best solution, but its what I have currently. I am wanting to transfer under co2 pressure, but haven't quite worked that out yet.

IMHO, this is not much different than what I have been doing for 20 years at home (minus the pump). Here is where I got most of the drums from. http://usedstainlesssteelbarrels.com/Page_2.html

I will go by the brewery and take a picture of the work in progress on the fermenter. It may be more clear on what i am doing that way.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyCreek View Post
I am very hopeful that you hit a home-run here. What are you doing in order to separate your brewery operation from the tap-room and what is your 'display' plan? (Going with the great glass wall?) What volumes are you targeting for both your taproom and your distribution and what channels are you using? (self or third party distribution?) Have you brewed a good deal on your 1.5 system or are you scaling up from smaller home-brew batches? If so what's your process for ensuring consistency in your beers? Are you serving food at the brew-pub?

As you can see, I'm on the same path, just a bit back.
The brewery and taproom is seperated by a 4' high bar, and a chain with a sign that reads, "employees only". Because the fermentation room is locked (just a deadbolt from HD) it seemed to be enough for the TTB. They just asked me about the chain, because it was not displayed on my site plan. So, if you want to do the same thing, be sure to not omit that detail. Hess did the same thing, and they were told that they had to lock their fermentation chambers (according to his blog). He has individual coolers for his fermentation chambers, sort of like a keezer. I have an entire room with an ac unit.

Volumes, well, that's a tricky question, because I'm just guessing. I spoke with Asher at Asher brewing, Dennis at Echo Brewing, and the guys at Big Choice Brewing and they all told me that I will run out of beer my opening day. With this in mind, I plan on brewing 4.5 bbls of Hop Haze IPA, and 3bbl of something else, Lights Out Stout (RIS). I need some lighter beer too, a Pale Ale... not sure yet because I only have 5 fermenters. I may be able to do two cycles in the IPA fermetners...

Anyways, I plan on having at least 6bbl on hand for the opening (that's all the kegs I have, like 60 cornies) and another 6.5 bbls sitting in fermenters fermenting just in case. If I do not sell all of that, I plan on bottling the IPA and self distributing it outside the taproom. I have no plans to sell kegs at this time.

I have brewed probably about 6-10 times in the past three years on the larger system. I do plan on moving homebrew batches to the large system. Consistency is not a huge problem, but the availability of ingredients is. Simcoe is gone, amarillo is gone, citra is gone etc. When I run out of an ingredient, i will just make another recipe rather than change the existing ones. While I love Citra Pale Ale and Hop Haze V, there are other recipes that are just as tasty that I can make, Hop Haze I and Lights Out Stout.

I will not serve food at the brewery, but people are welcome to bring their own food.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
First off. Congrats!

Secondly, your brewery blog lists that you have 1 SS drum and 2 HDPE drums. Mind if I ask how that works out ? I am guessing you are using the SS as your brew kettle and one of the HDPE's as a MLT, but what I can not figure out is how you are heating in your HDPE HLT?

I currently have a system using 2 SS drums, so you have my interest..

Thanks..
This is the older system FYI, it is all SS now. This is because I had problems holding temps in the HLT with the HDPE drum, exactly as you suspected.

The old procedure went like this. The night before, I would top off the BK with water to degas overnight. Boulder has chlorine in their water. Brew day started, and I fired up the kettle and milled grain. It takes about an hour to get the water to strike temp. I doughed in and topped off the BK again. 30 minutes later, the BK would be boiling. I would then xfer 55 gallons of boiling water into the HDPE HLT. By the time all the water was in the HLT, it was at 180F. after 30 minutes, the water would be around 175ish. I would lauter, then begin fly sparging. After an hour of fly sparging the HLT water would be around 140ish.

This was the procedure with an unheated HLT. My efficiency was pretty good about 75-80%. However, I couldn't double batch easily with this procedure because the HLT couldn't be heated. Also, when I fired the BK full blast it would melt the water heater blanket around the HLT. I figured that couldn't be good. So, I saved a little cash and got some SS drums and another burner to direct fire the HLT.

Quick Reply