Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Home MicroBREWology

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Deofol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Home MicroBREWology

I find myself always looking at ways to enjoy different aspects of brewing as a hobby. Recently I started getting into yeast ranching and harvesting my own yeast and creating banks. The cost of equipment may not be really justifiable, but as I found there is a whole new side of the hobby to enjoy!

I have always wanted a microscope, and given that most of the magic (good and bad) happens on a micro biologic scale, I finally talked myself into getting some lab equipment.

The following video's and pics were take with a basic "Student" level (4x - 100x - 400X) ($38 special off eBay) microscope and a cannon elf camera. Not bad IMO!

I recently had my first infection, and that got me interested in actually how EASY bacteria thrive in our world. Here's an example of how I got the bacteria in the first video (which I believe are Lactobacilli, aka create lactic acid and sour beer).

I took a plate (petri dish rather), sanitized it in BTF (Idofor), steamed it in a microwave sanitizer and let it cool. Did the same with a 50ml flask and brought 1g agar, 1g DME, and 30ml water to a boil. Let it cool and poured evenly on 2 plates. Sealed plates and stored in a ziplock bag. I was generally 10x more careful than my normal brewing habits, ie. flaming openings, working around a burner flame etc.

WITHOUT even streaking the plates I had a bacterial infection show up withing 48 hours. With a pin prick amount I I prepared the following slide with the growth and water. The shear numbers if Lactobacilli were astounding.

Well, enough of the scare tactices. Here are some other things I captured. The whole Album can be viewed here;
deofol/Home Brewery/MicroBREWology - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Yeast from the bottom of a bottle.

Last edited by Deofol; 09-30-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Deofol

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good beer gone wrong! Dregs of the infected Brown ale. Note bacteria to right of pointer.

Fullers ESB yeast?

SN PA yeast, or was it Fliechmans? They looked alike...

So anyway, I guess the point is to "Reduce" your risks, IMO I don't think you can ever brew without bacteria (the **** is everywhere!), just do the best you can to reduce it's impact.

Next up, I've got some stains coming to do more selective viewing. Should be fun.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That is some cool stuff right there. I can't wait to see more.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Well there's good bacteria and bad bacteria

.I'm not sure about mine.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Seriously very cool.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

bacteria by the pointer.....you can see the endospores....f-ing cool. How do you figure lactobacillus?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Deofol

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
bacteria by the pointer.....you can see the endospores....f-ing cool. How do you figure lactobacillus?
No scientific method really just a guess since it's most common in brewing, but I guess it could be anything.

I'll be able to better identify them using the Gram stain kit I ordered.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

if i remember correctly from microbiology there are only a few species of bacillus which readily produce endospores which is the inner circle of the cell. Kinda cool you can see this on a 40 dollar microscope.

If its g- (pink) your looking at clostridium and if its g+(purple) then bacillus. What prompted you to plate your samples? i was looking into this type of work for separating proprietary yeast from bottling yeasts in certain beers...

BACILLUS

Old 10-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just ordered a 1000x microcope 2 days ago and you beat me to the punch but it is so I can better understand what happens to yeast under different circumstances and be able to know when the yeast count is getting low. I know you have to use markers to be able to tell dead yeast from the living etc. Thanks for the photos. I spent more but do not have a good camera yet but plan on a 5 megapixel. What are you using now? The pictures are not too bad.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 10-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Deofol

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
What prompted you to plate your samples? i was looking into this type of work for separating proprietary yeast from bottling yeasts in certain beers...

BACILLUS
Pretty much the same reason. I grew tired of spending $7 each batch for yeast. Plus the fun factor of having something else to manage in my brewing process.

Some have asked about links to good information. Here are a few I've collected.

Brewers Laboratory Handbook - Great resource on how to basic procedures.

Sterile Distilled Water Yeast Storage - This is an interesting method to use for short and long term storage of yeast samples. Some argue that its better to use spring water, tap water, or even saline eye drops (Contact cleaner) since it is sterile. Personally I plan on going with saline.

Brewery Bacterial Contaminants - Cool article on normal brewery baddies.

Universal Beer Agar (UBA Medium) - Used to create plates that selectively target brewing specific bacterias and yeasts. I've yet to find this anywhere in a size under 500g. You can use agar and wort instead.

Guerilla Lab Techniques - A bunch of techniques to QA your work throughout the brewing process.

Microscope Tips from White Labs

Home Science Tools - Fairly inexpensive place to get lab supplies. If anyone else has a better site I would like to know about it. I've found it hard to find lab items without buying bulk.

Lab Equipment - Discount lab supplies.

I also highly recommend Chris Whites book (well, pamplet really) - The Fungus Among Us: Yeast Culturing for HomeBrewers (Paperback)

Last edited by Deofol; 10-01-2008 at 04:46 PM.
bendiy Likes This 

Quick Reply