Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > It has been a good day...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a nicely finished shed that will house the rig when not in use (and maybe while in use if the weather ever demands). I try to keep brewing equipment out of sight when I'm not using it. I could take all of my brewing out there but it would need a window a/c unit and it doesn't have water, so why bother when I already have a dedicated room in the house.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Now with sweet shelves, wheels, and deluxe aluminum foil heat shield!

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-15-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Also, I drilled my 7 gal aluminum pot (used to be kettle, now will be HLT) using a step bit. I know the step bit costs a bit of money, but that was so easy. I used a close threaded nipple, a ball valve and fender washer on the outside, some kinda piece to screw on to the inside, and a few plastic/rubber hose washers to make a seal on the inside. I know those aren't food grade, but I couldn't find anything better. I'm gonna go with the "wait and see" method.

Hose washer aside though, I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I did a bunch of brews using gravity to pull through my CFC, which meant trying to get a siphon going. Autosiphon will melt and you don't want to put your mouth on the wort-out line, so that meant getting a little creative. Now I have a pump, but I just should have drilled the damn pot.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #14
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 130

you need a California Brewing Company pint glass to add to your collection.
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 10-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2781 Times on 2729 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
you need a California Brewing Company pint glass to add to your collection.
JJ
I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you sent him one over!

I think I may go this route fora stand as well. Look pretty simple to construct. I have a grinder I can use for any cut, and a socket set, holy crap that looks like the only tools necessary! vHere's to your stand and my future whatever.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyk'd View Post
I knew Erector Sets had value!

Now all that is needed is some sort of crane built on to it.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #17
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

My 60 qt aluminum pot came today. Man that thing is big. It is very wide, which should make 5 gallon batches interesting. I think I'll be getting considerably more evaporation, but hey, no more boil overs.

I did the plumbing and electrical today, and also mounted the HLT burner and the pump. My bayou burner will arrive tomorrow, hopefully get mounted, and then I'm all ready to burn off the zinc and oxidize my pot. I'd also like to put up something to block the heat from some of the chiller tubing, and some flashing around the kettle to trap heat/block wind, but that's not really essential.

On an unrelated note, I got a little uglier today. I was doing some martial arts training and we were grappling. I caught the back of my opponent's head to my face, and my nose is a little left of center (my left) now. It didn't break, no blood, nothing too tender, it just moved. Go figure. Good thing I'm married.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #18
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

She's all done. Gotta burn off the zinc, oxidize the alum kettle, and brew. Bee Cave IPA will be her maiden voyage. Pics of that.

Quick Reply