New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Extract Brewing Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Jimbutler21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Extract Brewing Video

Hey guys, just wanted to share a video I put together of my first batch. While there are definitely things I'm going to do different in the future (rehydrating the yeast and adding temp control) the northern brewer American wheat kit was a good learning experience. Hope everyone enjoys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
TimelessCynic
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

I think its pretty awesome that you made a vid for your first batch. The video is good quality too and your gramps sure knows how to play that banjo.

I have had great success with US-05 sprinkled in dry without rehydrating. I wouldn't let that worry you.

Next time you make beer trying steeping a pound or half pound of some specialty malt. Maybe a little caramel/crystal 40L. It will add additional character.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

I hope you rinsed out the LME jug to get all the goodness out? And I usually cover the kettle when chilling,since nasties/wild yeasts settle downward. Looks like you use sodium metabisulfite? That needs to be rinsed. I like Starsan better myself,as it's no rinse. All in all,a nice first video of the process.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Jimbutler21
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I failed to rinse the extract jug, but I did end up covering the wort during chilling. I was using starsan for sanitizing, just a 4oz bottle I received with the recipe kit. No steeped grains with the NB American Wheat kit, but I steeped some grains with my 2nd batch.

Love the hobby. Thanks for the feedback on the video.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
TimelessCynic
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

Also don't cover during boil. There are some nasties that need to escape in the steam. If wort boils away and you need to reach a certain volume top up with clean water.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
Jimbutler21
Recipes 

Ahhhh.... Good tip. On the stove I was having a hard time keeping boiling temp. Hoping to get a propane stove for Christmas. (fingers crossed...)

Quick Reply