Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Commercial Coffee Brewer R.I.M.System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Ruffins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Commercial Coffee Brewer R.I.M.System

I used to brew a lot back in the late 1980's. The last time i brewed was in 1997 when i was trying to make this coffee brewer work. I gave it one try and quit. I now have a little more time and thought i would try to make it work. I needed to find a way to add more heat faster, and came up with my AUX heat. The first batch met all expectations. I'm back in it! This was a SN pale ale cone. I only made a 4 gl batch to see how much would fit in. I am pretty sure I can fit about 18# of grain(9 on each side). It has endless hot water for sparging.

What do you guys think?

dsc01828.jpg   dsc01829.jpg   dsc01830.jpg   dsc01835.jpg   dsc01836.jpg  

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
ssf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks good! i considered using one or two hot water kettles similar to that so i could set a timer and have my strike water ready when i woke up. way to repurpose!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
brewyou
Recipes 

very cool setup, looks like a good alternative to someone who cant have a huge all grain setup with the usual stands alot of them have. I wonder how readily available one of those coffee machines would be on ebay or a site like that.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Ruffins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I believe (once complete) it will be as accurate, and far more easier to use that a traditional setup . Now that i have both side set up with false bottoms, my capacity to hold grain is about 18 pounds. I should be able to brew up to 10 gallon batches. I added a internal loop (runs through the hot water that surrounds the coffee holding pots) for the RIMS so that i do not need auxiliary heat. I am getting ready to install a digital temp controller this week which should make step temp changes very simple. I've done three batch so far, each one with improvements i realized from the batch before. I mash and sparge in the coffee maker, move it over to a gas burner for the boil, and the results have been great. The last batch took me 4 hours from start to finish, and since most of the process in powered by electricity (220) i can do it in my basement with no issues. I'll post the set-up and i get it modified.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

I think we need more details on the build.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Ruffins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

This is a follow-up on the coffee brewer

dsc02058.jpg   dsc02059.jpg   dsc02061.jpg   dsc02065.jpg   dsc02066.jpg  

Old 08-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts

Interesting little system. I'd like to know more as well. You must have got a good deal on the urn though, those things go for like 2K new.

-cheers

Old 08-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
Ruffins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The brewer is a lot bigger than it looks from the pictures. It can easily produce a 10 gal batch. I worked as a chef for many years. A country club i worked for switched coffee systems, and this one was going for the scrap pile. I've been hauling it around for a long time. I just put the didgital temp controler on, and it works as well as i could have hoped for. Holds temp to with-in +/- 1 degree. (i'll post a picture tomorrow) What do you want to know?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #9
Ruffins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Just installed the digital controller and made my first batch with it. There's a 7to 8 degree difference between the water jacket temperature (where the temp probe is) and the mash temperature. If i put the temperature probe in the mash, it will over-shoot b/c of the lag time. If you want to maintain 152, you set it for 160. It held the temp very steady without having to adjust. The beer was an Irish Red i found off this site. Seems like it all went very well. My OG was a little light from over-sparging, I went 3/4 of a gallon over.

dsc02117.jpg   dsc02118.jpg   dsc02119.jpg   dsc02120.jpg   dsc02121.jpg  

Darkness Likes This 
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
deprecated
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You probably already have this?:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/PDF/385FE100N.pdf