Brewed up a RIS and took some pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I may not have all sorts of cool equipment, but it still makes beer.

P1040727.JPG

Here is my homemade stir plate, very simple, but does the job. This is also the stepped up starter after a 2000ml was already finished and decanted.

P1040728.JPG

Crash cool the starter and poured off the beer

P1040729.JPG

The new barley crusher and 10G round cooler

P1040730.JPG

Closer on the Barley Crusher

P1040733.JPG

Grain.... mmmmm....

P1040736.JPG

1oz of Magnum hops

P1040738.JPG

End of Mash, no heat loss

P1040739.JPG

This is how I measure how much I put into the boiler, this 8Qt pot has notches on the side so I usually fill to 6 or 7, pour into the boiler and keep track until I hit my boil volume

P1040740.JPG

HLT and boil bot, even a level helps with leveling my measuring pot since the concrete is a little slant

P1040742.JPG

First Wort Hop

P1040743.JPG

Pre-Boil gravity at 78 degrees

P1040746.JPG

Close up of the hops

P1040760.JPG

That is a lot of head

P1040763.JPG

RIS on the left

P1040765.JPG

Heater for the water, keeping it at 67

P1040773.JPG

After 3 hours, I forgot to take a picture at 7 hours, and the flow off 1 gallon container was over filling at 20 hours.

It was a successful brew, the final gravity was 1.095

lol swisher sweets, you have that box left over from when you were 15 and thought smoking mini-cigars was cool?

Is that a turkey fryer your using as your heat source and kettle? If so, what size is the kettle, and what BTU is the burner. I am tring to decide between a turkey fryer assembly or buying a burner and pot seperatly (which is more $$$)

Is that a turkey fryer your using as your heat source and kettle? If so, what size is the kettle, and what BTU is the burner. I am tring to decide between a turkey fryer assembly or buying a burner and pot seperatly (which is more $$$)

I got the turkey fryer when I was starting back into homebrewing with some partial mash recipes. Now it just heats up my strike and sparge water.

The day I was going to brew my first all grain, I realized I needed a larger pot, we have a discount grocery store here that sells large stock pots normally used for making tamales, well I make beer and it's 13 gallons. I paid $40 for it.

I have the burner stand that came with the fryer and another square one that I use for the larger pot. The burners looks to be about the same size, I don't know how many BTUs though. I believe it is the standard turkey fryer size, which is not that much I think.

Buying the components separate is going to run more, but you will probably get a better product.

What did you OG turn out to be? I just kegged my first RIS tonight OG 1.100 FG 1.028. I can't wait do drink this one!

What did you OG turn out to be? I just kegged my first RIS tonight OG 1.100 FG 1.028. I can't wait do drink this one!

I ended up at 1.095 for my OG with 5.25 gallons. The recipe was for 5 gallons and I also shorted myself 14oz of the main 2-row, I read 16lbs, not 16lb 14oz.

Anyways, I wish I had a extra pound of grain to throw in on brew day, but the recipe callled for a OG of 1.096, so it was close enough.

I am having a beer and wine tasting party this weekend and will open a bottle of this RIS and see what people think.

It is a little young at about 3 months now but we shall see.

This is a blind taste test party too so people are not going to know what hit them when they taste this 10%/100 IBU dark water :)

I am having a beer and wine tasting party this weekend and will open a bottle of this RIS and see what people think.

It is a little young at about 3 months now but we shall see.

This is a blind taste test party too so people are not going to know what hit them when they taste this 10%/100 IBU dark water :)

Hahaha. That is great! I have a Belgian Dubbel I am about to bottle and condition for about 3-6 months. I won't tell everyone how strong it is until they are all really drunk. :rockin:

Hahaha. That is great! I have a Belgian Dubbel I am about to bottle and condition for about 3-6 months. I won't tell everyone how strong it is until they are all really drunk. :rockin:

Well the beer went over well. I cracked one open to share and it was everything I hoped it would be at 3 months. I just can't wait until the fall.

Seriously? Dude it looks to me like you have some great equipment.
If your beer tastes anything like it looks you're an excellent brewer.

Thanks, the only change I have planned anytime soon is get a keggle put together but I am thinking of heating it with electricity so that won't be a small thing.

Back