Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Brew & a few bonus shots!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #21
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Well, you might never. HSA only puts you AT RISK of off flavours. It doesn't necessarily produce them.

You are at greater risk if you store your beers for lengthy periods of time and at warmer/fluctuating temperatures. It also depends on how much yeast you have in your bottles and how active they stay -- yeast are great oxygen scavengers. Cooling then warming then cooling then warming your bottles will drop the yeast out of suspension and set up conditions ripe for oxidation.
Have you experienced HSA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #22
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

someone has to have experienced HSA effects first hand......

Old 07-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #23
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I've never experienced it first hand. I have also never eaten poo, but I trust that it tastes bad. Too many well respected brewers are concerned about HSA for me to dismiss it just because I haven't experienced it.

I expect the reason that you won't find too many people here that have experienced it first hand is because when they were learning about brewing they took the warnings about HSA seriously from those who they were learning from.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #24
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
...I have also never eaten poo, but I trust that it tastes bad.
I don’t know… That’s an awful big assumption…

Old 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #25
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Nice pics, but when you said "& bonus" I was hoping for Jester's Brewbabe style bonus... I guess I was a bit optimistic!

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 07-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #26
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
I've never experienced it first hand. I have also never eaten poo, but I trust that it tastes bad. Too many well respected brewers are concerned about HSA for me to dismiss it just because I haven't experienced it.

I expect the reason that you won't find too many people here that have experienced it first hand is because when they were learning about brewing they took the warnings about HSA seriously from those who they were learning from.
Dismiss? Not at all. I like to have information and experience to guide my decision if possible. When it comes to evaluating the advice of others knowing if they are relating their experience or something they have read from another source is fairly big factor to me. Given the number of warnings in this thread, I would like to know how many have actually experienced negative HSA effects and what the risk exposure actually is. The major point being that if I can induce these negative effects & experience the results, then I gain a better understanding of the problem.

On HSA I have found plenty of conflicting information and opinion but next to zero firsthand experience. Basic brewing has done some experiments and IIRC, were not able to introduce the negative effects with out some major aeration. I want to go back and review these podcasts in the next few days:
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=60

If you need someone to tell you not to eat poo, that's a whole nother problem.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #27
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing Clamper
Nice pics, but when you said "& bonus" I was hoping for Jester's Brewbabe style bonus... I guess I was a bit optimistic!
I think that my brewbabe would likely object to posting her picture on an intarweb forum

Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 AM   #28
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
Have you experienced HSA?
Nope. But I am also cautious not to oxidize my wort.

HSA is probably an over-rated problem in homebrewing. However, it is also one easily avoided so why take the chance.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #29
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Nope. But I am also cautious not to oxidize my wort.

HSA is probably an over-rated problem in homebrewing. However, it is also one easily avoided so why take the chance.
That depends...are you really doing enough to avoid it? I have read articles that recommend not stiring the wort and filling your mash tun via a fill tube from the bottom up along with not recirculating wort but disposing of the early runnings.

Palmer, in the BB podcast, suggests that HSA might actually only occur at dough-in/early mash due to lipoxygenase that is only present at that time & denatured at scarification temps.

Of course I have also seen a number of resources that suggest HSA is not an issue for the typical homebrewer and the results of the BB experiments.

Last edited by brewt00l; 07-26-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #30
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
Palmer, in the BB podcast, suggests that HSA might actually only occur at dough-in/early mash due to lipoxygenase that is only present at that time & denatured at scarification temps.
Btw, the implication of this being that if you dough-in at 130F or above, you have already avoided the risk of HSA.

Quick Reply