Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Blood Orange Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #601
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Figured I'd throw up a pic. lol I'm surprised on how much head retention this has with as much orange zest went in to it.

hef.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #602
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkman20 View Post
Figured I'd throw up a pic. lol I'm surprised on how much head retention this has with as much orange zest went in to it.
Looks good! How does it taste?

I got a bayou classic burner for christmas, and with two ounces of Nelson Sauvin hops in the freezer, I brewed this recipe again a couple of days ago. This time, I used three pounds of orlando tangelos for the zest, pulp and juice. Could not find blood oranges. I wanted to try the Wyeast american wheat yeast, too, but LHBS was out and suggested American Ale II, so I went for it. Never tried that yeast before. It's bubbling away...

Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #603
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Tastes awesome. It's one of the best beers I've ever made. Better than hef I buy in the bottle. Only problem is, I made an orange hef that if you drank it you'd never guess there was orange in there and I think that kind of defeats the purpose of making an orange hef. lol I mean I can personally taste a hint, but I'd never question it if I didn't make it. Next batch the oranges go in 3 or 4 days after fermentation has started and we will see the difference.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #604
MikeyPipes86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Have this in primary right now; had 1 bubble every 2 seconds less than 10 hrs in. Smells great already.

I've seen a lot of people say they don't get much orange hints with the recipe suggestion...I have only the 4 blood oranges + zest going so my question is...any way to boost the orange flavor at this juncture without racking to secondary? ( don't want to secondary a hefe). Like maybe squeeze some juice in with my sugar before bottling?

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: Miracle Maker (Irish Honey Red), Lederhosen Lager, Bloodthirsty Wheat (Blood orange Hefeweizen) Freckled Bull (Spotted Cow clone), Amber of My Eye, Zack Attack Blonde Ale

Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #605
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

I gotta get out and try to find some blood oranges now.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #606
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Now's the time. I found blood oranges in the store again about a week and a half ago so I made up another batch last weekend. Same grain bill, but I used 7 blood oranges in primary and threw in 5 more 4 days later when primary slowed down after the bulk of fermentation was over. As always, I use a blowoff tube when I make hefs, but it seems this time it was not enough.

Came home 2 days after I brewed this up and opened the door and I was like damn, it smells like oranges in here. Went to the living room and took off my jacket and turned around to see this.... lol It must have just happened because it was still overflowing like a beer krausen volcano. I'm sure a piece of orange got stuck and that's what caused the cap to blow off. Good thing the carboy was intact. I'll have to use a larger diameter hose than 3/8 next time. Before cleaning up the mess though, I did take a picture. Because we all know that without pics, it never happened.

But hey, my house smelled nice for a little while. Good thing I have hardwood floors. lol

hef.jpg  

Last edited by Sharkman20; 02-02-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added

Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #607
DHdriver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just kegged this beer with a FG of 1.018, I took a hydro sample 5 days ago and couldn't get it lower.
It's been 12 days in the primary since I brewed and it tastes bad, hard to describe the taste but almost rotten, like a bad green pepper, the earlier hydro sample had similar tastes. The yeast I used was T-58 I know it's not ideal but the only one that was available that was recommended in the book.
Any ideas of the taste, was it the yeast? I'm hoping it will mellow, any similar experiences?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #608
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHdriver View Post
I just kegged this beer with a FG of 1.018, I took a hydro sample 5 days ago and couldn't get it lower.
It's been 12 days in the primary since I brewed and it tastes bad, hard to describe the taste but almost rotten, like a bad green pepper, the earlier hydro sample had similar tastes. The yeast I used was T-58 I know it's not ideal but the only one that was available that was recommended in the book.
Any ideas of the taste, was it the yeast? I'm hoping it will mellow, any similar experiences?
I brewed this twice, once with Wyeast 1010 American Wheat and once with Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. Both times, I didn't taste it until a month into primary. And both times let it ferment without any temp control - just room temp - to get it on the high end for esthers. Did not get this rotten flavor. I would suggest letting it sit and mellow out. It might be too early to see how well it turns out? Maybe you got a piece of the citrus pulp in your taste?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #609
hnbc34
Recipes 

Default Hydrometer not even floating

Has any one else had this with this beer? I had an OG of around 1.05. I don't know if the oranges just made the yeast(3068) absolutely rip through this and cause this(temp was a little high when I pitched around 75). I checked my hydrometer in water and it was right around 1. No foul smells or anything either. I was just about to keg this and am wonder if it is even still good.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #610
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbc34 View Post
Has any one else had this with this beer? I had an OG of around 1.05. I don't know if the oranges just made the yeast(3068) absolutely rip through this and cause this(temp was a little high when I pitched around 75). I checked my hydrometer in water and it was right around 1. No foul smells or anything either. I was just about to keg this and am wonder if it is even still good.
I don't understand the issue. What are you concerned about?

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Quick Reply