Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Blood Orange Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #591
frailn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Bottled a version of this yesterday. Hydrometer sample tastes amazing! I can definitely taste the orange, but it's not overpowering. Things I did differently:

1. Used Nelson Sauvin hops. These hops go amazingly well with the oranges.
2. Used Wyeast 1010 and fermented at room temp with no swamp cooler or any kind of temperature control. So, basically fermented in the high upper range of the 1010 yeast tolerance to produce citrusy esthers.

Hopefully I didn't over-carb it. I decided this would be good in the 3.5 volume range for carbonation. Nice and spritzy.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Brew 24 - Blood Orange American Wheat
Brewer: frailn
Asst Brewer: otto
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.62 %
5.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 47.62 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Williamette [4.90 %] (20 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (10 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 36.00 qt of water at 156.2 F 152.0 F

Notes:
------
Zested peels of 8 blood oranges.
Combined pulp and zest in 1/2 gallon of 170 F water to pasteurize. Let sit to cool to room temp.
Added the orange water, zest and pulp to the fermenter at yeast pitching time.
Dry hopped with 1 oz nelson sauvin for 3 weeks
Fermented at room temperature in dining room to get the temp in the upper range of the yeast tolerance. This was done to throw off citrusy esters from the yeast.
Bottled on 06/09/2012. 3.5 volumes using 4.9 oz cane sugar. Ended up with 4.5 gallons to bottle

Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #592
edroberts
WxBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frailn
Bottled a version of this yesterday. Hydrometer sample tastes amazing! I can definitely taste the orange, but it's not overpowering. Things I did differently:

1. Used Nelson Sauvin hops. These hops go amazingly well with the oranges.
2. Used Wyeast 1010 and fermented at room temp with no swamp cooler or any kind of temperature control. So, basically fermented in the high upper range of the 1010 yeast tolerance to produce citrusy esthers.
Awesome! I've been dying to try a wheat-based beer with Nelson hops, but couldn't find them when I brewed this a month ago. Nice to know they worked well!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #593
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Brewed this today for the second time. Used valencia oranges and Nelson sauvin hops...waiting on signs of fermentation.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #594
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Blood orange season is pretty much here. As soon as I see them in the store I'm making this one again, only this time with an american hefe yeast.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #595
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well I'm impatient so I'm not waiting for blood orange season. lol I'm doing an all grain brew this week instead of the extract I did last year and I'll be using 5 or 6 large valencia or navel oranges. I'll be using all ahtanum hops as well which is supposedly an extremely citrusy hop (random find at the brew shop today-only had 1 package left) and an american hef yeast to keep the banana and clove down a bit so the citrus can come through.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #596
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I brewed this up on 12-12-12 using 7 large navel oranges with the zest and meat from all of them into primary. I always rig a blowoff hose whenever I do beers like this and it's a good thing I did. The fermentation took off like a rocket (made a starter) and even the 1 gallon jug I used with the blowoff hose almost overflowed with all of the liquid and foam and pieces of orange that got pushed through. lol It's calmed down now but it's still chugging away steadily.

I liked the idea of using honey malt in this recipe so I threw a half pound into the mash and used an american hef yeast which I think will produce a cleaner beer with more pronounced orange flavor and aroma than the german hef yeast I used last year. Also I used 2 ounces of the ahtanum hops (they smell amazing by the way) and a half ounce of hallertauer. Should come out to about 5.1% when it's all done.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #597
BaltimoreBrau
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've started keeping an eye out at Whole Foods, would like to brew this after the New Year

Bottled: Winter Ale
Kegged: Blood Orange Hefeweizen
Up Next: White House Honey Ale
Up Next: Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone

Old 12-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #598
BuffaloBeer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I saw this recipe awhile ago and had to wait for Blood Orange season to arrive. It's finally here. Thank you for those who have posted some experiments and feedback. I'm planning on going with 6-7 oranges, zest from all, (mashing them up to get the most juice from it), and throwing all in the primary once the most active part of fermentation settles.

The only other time I have use fruit was in a Blackberry White IPA. It came out great, but I had to wait at least 3 weeks before the fermentation settled (in the secondary) after adding the berries. I sanitized them using a different method, and there were definitely fermentable sugars leaching out for awhile.

Has anyone who has used the delayed adding of the orange experienced a longer time for fermentation to stop with this recipe?

Also, does the orange end up adding gravity points? & therefore end up drying it out a little more in the finish?

Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #599
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just kegged mine up yesterday. I'm doing a quick force carb to try and get it ready at least the day after xmas. We'll see how that turns out since I never do a quick carb but hey as long as the beer is flowing it won't matter. lol

I found though that there's absolutely no noticeable difference between using the navel oranges vs the blood oranges. In primary it throws off all orange smell and it's fantastic but very very little orange flavor gets carried over to the final beer. Just a slight aroma. While blood oranges are great, I see no reason to wait a year for the season to come back before brewing this one again. Tastes awesome either way. Next time though I may dump in all of my oranges after primary is complete to see the difference in flavor and aroma.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #600
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I checked my wort before and after adding the mashed up oranges and juice and I did not get a difference in gravity. Mine was 1.052 before and after mixing it well. I'd guess the gravity of the orange juice itself is probably not too far off from what the wort is by itself and makes no difference in that amount.

Quick Reply