Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Blood Orange Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #471
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Well, enough differing in opinion that I think I will rack it at 10 days to a keg and keep drawing off until it gets where I want it.

Thanks all, I guess like most brews, you just have to try it out. My first hefe, so wasn't sure how young was too young.

Then at some point I will be buying oranges to spruce it up

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #472
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Well, I officially brewed a third batch, I call it tarocco tornado wheat. Tarocco because of the oranges I choose.. Tornado? Read on..

Followed the recipe but did a partial mash for the wheat grains, hit 1.045 OG which is fine with me, it's bubbling away like a happy beer. I was supposed to brew this last Friday but we literally were hit by a tornado (area code 63043, give it a google if you haven't heard). I took some bad damage but the house stands on like a champ and my wife and the animals are all okay.

Here is a vid from my neighborhood I took Saturday morning, scary stuff

Click here

Saturday, we did all we could do for the house and the neighbors, called insurance and electric, gas, etc.. and I needed peace of mind so we packed all the equipment and ingredients from Friday, grabbed a sixer of local brew, then headed to a family members house, brew on.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #473
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
I followed this recipe except I decided to go with WLP 400 Belgian Wit Ale Yeast, added the zest and fruit of 5 blood oranges, substituted the Hallertau with East Kent Golding....and added 1 oz of Corriander (crushed) seed at the end.

Hoping for a tastey "Blood Orange Belgian Wit". Just started this one 4/12, expect to let it go for 3 to 4 weeks before I bottle it. Will post my results.

My OG was 1.052
FG was 1.011
Cheers
Just bottled this last nite (2 week fermentation)....Tastes like Blue Moon but better. Very well ballanced. Had to stop a few time to clear my bottle filler tip of corriander seeds. Can't wait to drink this in a couple weeks.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #474
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
Just bottled this last nite (2 week fermentation)....Tastes like Blue Moon but better. Very well ballanced. Had to stop a few time to clear my bottle filler tip of corriander seeds. Can't wait to drink this in a couple weeks.
Just curious, but why didn't you just brew a witbier? I mean actually in a way you did. Changed the yeast, the key hops, added coriander, etc. Not sure what made you choose this hefe recipe if you were looknig to brew a belgian wit.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #475
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Just curious, but why didn't you just brew a witbier? I mean actually in a way you did. Changed the yeast, the key hops, added coriander, etc. Not sure what made you choose this hefe recipe if you were looknig to brew a belgian wit.
I was going to make the Hefe and just decided to brew a belgian wit instead.....I did use the main ingredients, then I changed the hops because that is what I had on hand. I did use the instructions for using the blood oranges, which I think normally in a wit you use only the peel and no fruit in the ferment.

Just wanted to try something different....turned out tasty!

Go Blood Orange Belgian Wit!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #476
weconway
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this recipe, with a twist. I had a Northern Brewer Honey Weizen kit, and made some mods to mirror this recipe.

6 lbs. Northern Brewer Wheat LME
1 lb. Honey (0 min)
½ oz. Tettnang (60 min)
½ oz. Czech Saaz (20 min)
½ oz. Tettnang (10 min)
Fruit from 4 Tangelos, zest from 3 (in ½ gal. water heated to 160* in another pot, add to fermenter)
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

The unfermented wort was easily the best I've ever tasted. It's been bubbling mightily in my fermentation chamber since last night. I can't wait for this one!

Cold Beverage Brewing Co. - Marietta, GA
Fine Ales and Lagers Since 1998

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: NB CDA
On draught: NB Innkeeper Ale, NB Waldo Lake Amber
Coming up: Irish Stout

Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #477
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Is it just me or does this taste pretty much like a regular hefe. Not getting a ton of orange flavor at all. It is good, but not as sexy as the name implies. Time get some fresh oranges

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #478
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

Keep in mind that blood oranges tastes closer to a berry flavor than the traditional orange, also mine has been sitting in bottles for about a month and a half now and then yeast flavors are mellowing out allowing the oranges to come through more, hefs aren't really my favorite style but it is getting better on a daily basis

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #479
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I just had a few pints that a buddy brewed up recently. Rather than doing the zest and vodka route, he added orange near the end of the boil. I swear I could drink this stiff all day. If I didn't already have a recipe lined up I'd be doing this one next.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #480
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyIsTheRoger View Post
Keep in mind that blood oranges tastes closer to a berry flavor than the traditional orange, also mine has been sitting in bottles for about a month and a half now and then yeast flavors are mellowing out allowing the oranges to come through more, hefs aren't really my favorite style but it is getting better on a daily basis
I guess my comment was from some of the posts that were like - "you can taste so much orange", etc. Maybe mine is just too young, but I am not getting overwhelming orange, just a slight citrus. Guess what I am saying is... I will wait this out for the course of the beer and keep trying, however this recipe (for me) isn't anything special. Though it is a lot more work than similar tasting heffe recipes.

Perhaps part of this is that wheats aren't my favorite style either. However, I have an above average palate, so I guess I am just surprised at the raving some folks did for this brew. Its good, but nothing special in my book.

I did follow the recipe to a T and monitored fermentation temp, etc.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply