Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Beers in Belize!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Jon73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Rum it is, then. I'll save the beer for the fishing trip(s). Drinking a can of rum just doesn't sound as appealing when you're on a boat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
kevinb
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Try 1 Barrel rum. I think it is the best rum ever. In fact, feel free to bring back a handle for me.

Kevin - One Arm Brewery

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Belize is on of my favorite places on earth... Crazy adventures have been had there. One time we were hanging around the marine terminal waiting on a boat to head to ambergris, when a local fellow aked us why we werent having a beer. we walked across the street to a store where he harassed the shop keeeper into getting us the 6 coldest possible belikins from the bottom of the cooler. Of course, his fee for service was a beer, but we made a friend and thus began a long and storied love affair with that country.

Belikin beer and beach BBQ seafood is a great way to spend a lazy afternoon. And don't forget the Marie Sharp's!! You'll pay through the nose for it stateside, but wow is it good. Fried plantains, Johnny cakes, and Marie Sharp's..... That's takin me back....

------------------------------
The Alementary Home Brewery
http://www.alementary.com

Planning: RIS
Primary: dark saison holiday beer
Secondary/aging: Fruited lambic, two test American sours
On tap: Dortmunder Export, Cider
Recently Kicked: English mild

Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
blakelyc
Recipes 

I have tried to forget 1 barrel after the Rum Punch Incident of 2009.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #15
jungatheart
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
I'd kill to get that foreign extra in Canada. Apparently it accounts for ~ 65% of all Guinness sales world wide. I only drank it in Ireland at the brewery, and once time it came in a Guinness variety pack I picked up in the States.
Midwest has a recipe. I've made it and it's very good.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pages...tra-stout.html

Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

It's been a long time since I've been to Placencia! Is Barnacle Bills, north of Seine bight, still there? It was in Maya Beach, near Mangos and Singing Sands- but that was such a long time ago! That was my favorite place, ever.

We still buy Marie Sharps, by the case, and have got our Texas friends doing the same!

I like Cay Caulker and Ambrigris, but not nearly as much as Placencia. When we went there the first time, it was a "sleepy drinking village with a fishing problem" and we loved it. There was no development, and it was just a village. The next time, there was some development, and after that, even more. I still love it, though, but we're probably not going back anytime soon due to circumstances. But when I close my eyes, I can still feel the breeze while laying in the hammock, sipping a Belikin, and hearing the palms rustling. Like heaven. With beer.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #17
Zogman100
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Love Belize! Spent 4 days on Ambrigris, 2 on Caye Caulker and 4 in Placencia last November. Just love Caye Caulker and Placencia. Can't wait to go back next year. Pic is from Caye Caulker at the lizzard.

p1010697r.jpg  

Rat Dog Brewing
Primary - Pliney Clone
Keg Condition - Devul (Duvel Clone)
Keg - Black H'Ops - Black IIPA
Bottled - "James" (Brown Ale)

Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
acidrain23
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It's been a long time since I've been to Placencia! Is Barnacle Bills, north of Seine bight, still there? It was in Maya Beach, near Mangos and Singing Sands- but that was such a long time ago! That was my favorite place, ever.

We still buy Marie Sharps, by the case, and have got our Texas friends doing the same!

I like Cay Caulker and Ambrigris, but not nearly as much as Placencia. When we went there the first time, it was a "sleepy drinking village with a fishing problem" and we loved it. There was no development, and it was just a village. The next time, there was some development, and after that, even more. I still love it, though, but we're probably not going back anytime soon due to circumstances. But when I close my eyes, I can still feel the breeze while laying in the hammock, sipping a Belikin, and hearing the palms rustling. Like heaven. With beer.
Looks like it Yooper! http://barnaclebills-belize.com/accommodations.html

The penisula continues to develop. They have a nice paved road heading into town now for one thing, not just a layer of axle breaking rock. We did tool up through Seine Bight and Maya Beach one afternoon on a golf cart. Check this out, this is someone's house! (Maya Beach)

They are also upgrading the pier at the southern end of the peninsula as I mentioned. Seemed like there was a lot of contruction happening, I'm happy for Belizeans but it is a little sad as it gets more touristy. Still, not a single McDonalds (nor any chain restaurants of any kind that I know of), everything is still local, fresh, unpretentious and REAL. Belizeans are proud of their country and their unique culture and taking great pains to keep it that way. I hope it stays that way for a while longer!

Here is one more pic and then I promise to quit! More signs of development- looks like they are slashing and burning a lot north of town to make way for more developments:

Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
blakelyc
Recipes 

Yeah, the development down there is non-stop! You really shouldn't take pictures of my house like that, though

When we were first there even Ambergris was crazy remote. South of Ramon's there was nothing. Captain Morgan's was there, but consisted of only 8 rooms and 8 huts. So much bigger now, but for some reason Belize has maintained its "remote getaway" feel much more that most places. Maybe we'll head down there this summer.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
Try 1 Barrel rum. I think it is the best rum ever. In fact, feel free to bring back a handle for me.
I would, except that geographically we couldn't be much further apart.

Quick Reply