New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Beers in Belize!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
acidrain23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beers in Belize!

Ok, maybe these aren't the best beers in the world, but these are two of the best ones you can get in Belize, and damn if they aren't tasty in the sun!

And of course there were the obligatory rum drinks as well. There is a seemingly infinite variety of light-gold-dark rum + fresh (amazing) fruit juice. These were the best examples, at a little joint called Rumfish (this is in Placencia by the way if you are familiar).

Pineapple Habanero Fizz's and a Cucumber Ginger Gin Fizz. Even though these are fruity girly drinks they were really well made. I've tried to duplicate stuff like this back home, but its not the same. You need picked ripe pineapple juice and the like. I'm pretty sure the pineapple habanero drink used a habanero infused simple syrup which was a nice touch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'd kill to get that foreign extra in Canada. Apparently it accounts for ~ 65% of all Guinness sales world wide. I only drank it in Ireland at the brewery, and once time it came in a Guinness variety pack I picked up in the States.

Fermenter 1 - Centennial Pale Ale
Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Every beer tastes better in Belize! Even though a case of Belikin is like $60- it didn't matter a bit to me.

We love Belize so much that the next time we went, we brought friends! And made them buy the beer.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
acidrain23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
I'd kill to get that foreign extra in Canada. Apparently it accounts for ~ 65% of all Guinness sales world wide. I only drank it in Ireland at the brewery, and once time it came in a Guinness variety pack I picked up in the States.
Its hard to find here too! I've been looking high and low for it, you think its something you would be able to get in Chicago. Its definitely on my short list for cloning, hopefully on deck for when things heat up this summer. Its been a while since I've had it (last time was in Jamaica)- it has that great raisiny flavor- thinking a healthy portion of C120 or Special B even in there. I think they must mash it low as well to thin it out so it remains quenchable in the tropics. Hmm...

Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
acidrain23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Every beer tastes better in Belize! Even though a case of Belikin is like $60- it didn't matter a bit to me.

We love Belize so much that the next time we went, we brought friends! And made them buy the beer.
Absolutely Yooper, what a great place! I mean, what's not to like?
I can't resist posting a few more pics...

Looking out from the Shak, a little breakfast joint at the end of Placencia at the new dock construction:

This is right outside the little mom and pop where we were staying:

This is someone's dog- people just let their pets roam free on the peninsula:

Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Cool. Going to Belize this summer. What kind of beer is Belkin? Not that it really matters, just curious. I figured that would be Red Stripe country.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
acidrain23
Recipes 

Fresh fruit. Holy god its good! I mean, look at the papaya!!

Pier bar at Robert's Grove:

Additional icing on the cake- the proprieters of the hotel we were staying at happened to have puppies:

Temp departing Belize- 85F
Temp arriving back in Chicago- 8F

So sad, but we are already planning out next trip back! (This was our third time)

Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
acidrain23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73 View Post
Cool. Going to Belize this summer. What kind of beer is Belkin? Not that it really matters, just curious. I figured that would be Red Stripe country.
Belikin comes in three varieties- Lighthouse (4.5% ABV)- which is very similar to heineken (and skunky like heineken too); the regular Belikin (4.5% ABV)- which is a pretty pedestrian regular ol beer beer; and the Stout (7.5% ABV) which is actually quite good- it is actually not all that stouty but at least has a good full flavor and you can definitely put back several of them. Your other options include the guiness foreign extra stout, red stripe, and maybe some random american mass produced beers though they may be hard to come by.

As Yooper mentioned, beer is expensive down there! Cost aprox $2 US for a beer whether you get it in the bar or at a liquor/grocery store. They just don't have the economy of scale that we have here (not to mention the transporation infrastucture). On the other hand, you can return bottles in Belize still and recoup some of the cost.

If you are just looking to get obliterated cheaply, rum is ubiquitous and dirt cheap, about $7.50 US or less for a liter of good rum.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 544

I was pleasantly surprised by Belikin regular. It's nothing mind-blowing, but far better than some of the other Caribbean beers I've tried (Carib, Port Royal, Imperial). Too bad I can't find it in the states.

Did you try the cashew wine? It's pretty good as well.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
acidrain23
Recipes 

Oh, yes- we tried the cashew wine finally as well! Definitely reminded me of a sherry or marsala wine, it has that oxidized flavor. Not my favorite, but I could definitely see cooking with it for sure.

Quick Reply