Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Is anyone else getting too much head?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
badlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Maybe it's not done fermenting when you package it?
And YES, I can say with all honesty that I AM

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
beergynt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroach01 View Post
Too much head eh?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2006 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

Either the beer wasn't at a stable FG when primed & bottled,or it was opeened before chilling at least 5 days,preferrably a week. All that gas in the head space can act like a nucleation point,& the foam just sorta feeds off it's own reaction. Kinda like the nutron bomb.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

You could seriously have an infection. If it's happened with 3 batches in a row, it's even more likely, unless you've changed equipment. An infection acts exactly like this - the bacteria convert more sugars and the yeast use them to make more gas, and it gets overcarbed. Ultimately you can get bottle bombs, and you'll probably get an off-taste. The beer will still be drinkable though, depending on your taste.

Make sure your OG is stable before you bottle. (I'm assuming you don't keg, or you could monitor the pressure.)
Being a little off with the priming sugar won't do this - you'd have to be pretty far off, like using the full amount of sugar for a half-batch.
If the beer is cold, and has conditioned for 3 weeks or more, and the glass is cold, I'd clean everything thoroughly and replace all the plastic (or use a different system) for your next batch.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #15
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It is theoretically possible that it wasn't done fermenting as I only take my FG when I am ready to bottle but I always primary for at least 3 weeks and all my FG's have been really close to the estimated FG.

I'm pretty sure it isn't an issue with bottle conditioning. The Porter in the photo was brewed in April, bottled in June and has been in the fridge for 8 weeks now.

I also considered an infection but I'm not getting any off flavors. I've also brewed two Saison's and two Cream Ales that didn't have an issue. The only difference is all 3 foamy beers were done in my glass carboy and the others were done in plastic buckets. I hadn't made that connection before but that does seem like the one thing they have in common.

Quick Reply