Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > American Pale Ale *3/16/2011*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
jvcjbl
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFortySX View Post
This is the first time that I will be using this yeast so I do not have much of an opinion formed. The reviews I read on White Labs website were all favorable. The guys at my LHBS did not have too much to say about it. I will be fermenting at the upper level of its temperature range, 68-70 degrees.

Thank you for mentioning your experience with this yeast. I will watch my temperature and make sure to comment specifically on the flavors of the beer when it is finished.

WLP005 British Ale Yeast
This yeast is a little more attenuative than WLP002. Like most English strains, this yeast produces malty beers. Excellent for all English style ales i
Including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.

Attenuation: 67-74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium
FWIW this batch was pitched at ~72'f and kept at a constant 62'f from there on out. Everyone that I have talked to said that the initial pitching temp was way to high. What temp did you pitch this? The last batch was pitched at 74'f and it was fermented between 70-72'f and it was undrinkable. Hopefully YMMV
Tap # 2: Empty
Bottled: MusiclySweet Cream Stout (for SWMBO), Black Stain Imperial Stout, Boxer Brew

Mohr Brewing Co. Like Us!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #22
TwoFortySX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcjbl View Post
What temp did you pitch this?
I pitched at around 75 degrees, and like I said previously, my spare room where I ferment keeps whatever I am fermenting at about 68 degrees. I am not doubting your experience at all and I respect your opinion but I am not one to worry. I am very far from a perfectionist, and pretty laid back when it comes to most things. As long as the beer is relatively drinkable then I am pretty okay.

I did read that someone ended up with some off flavors from this yeast and emailed White Labs. White Labs responded with this:
Quote:
"It could be a lot of things, including contamination. But if it is just
with WLP005, perhaps it is fusel alcohols. The British Ale yeast produces
more then other strains, so this may be coming through in the beer. Lower
fermentation temperatures reduce fusel alcohols. Hope this helps and if you
have any other questions don't hesitate to write."
We will see where this batch goes. If it ends up having some off flavors and being barely drinkable, I will take some bottles to my LHBS and do a little talking.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
jvcjbl
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFortySX View Post
I pitched at around 75 degrees, and like I said previously, my spare room where I ferment keeps whatever I am fermenting at about 68 degrees. I am not doubting your experience at all and I respect your opinion but I am not one to worry. I am very far from a perfectionist, and pretty laid back when it comes to most things. As long as the beer is relatively drinkable then I am pretty okay.

I did read that someone ended up with some off flavors from this yeast and emailed White Labs. White Labs responded with this:

We will see where this batch goes. If it ends up having some off flavors and being barely drinkable, I will take some bottles to my LHBS and do a little talking.
I wish you nothing but the best with this.... please remember that 68'f is your AMBIENT room temp and will not be the temp of the beer. During fermentation it can be up to a max of 10'F higher which would put you way out of the range of that yeast. Do keep us posted!!
Tap # 2: Empty
Bottled: MusiclySweet Cream Stout (for SWMBO), Black Stain Imperial Stout, Boxer Brew

Mohr Brewing Co. Like Us!!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #24
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcjbl View Post
I wish you nothing but the best with this.... please remember that 68'f is your AMBIENT room temp and will not be the temp of the beer. During fermentation it can be up to a max of 10'F higher which would put you way out of the range of that yeast. Do keep us posted!!
Thank you.

I do realize that the ambient room temperature is not the temperature of the liquid within my primary especially during fermentation. All of my fermenters have LCD strip thermometers on them so I can monitor the temperatures. I usually take temperature readings when I pull a sample to test gravity. The LCD strips are normally accurate so I am okay with using them to monitor temperature.

I will keep this thread updated

Old 03-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #25
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I like the white board...I keep things in a bound journal but the last two batch at a time (one on the outdoor burner and one inside on the stove) with buddies (over while drinking) was a mess!!!!

Large, clear, easy to read...and I could transcribe to the bound book later. Excellent idea!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #26
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstone View Post
I like the white board...I keep things in a bound journal but the last two batch at a time (one on the outdoor burner and one inside on the stove) with buddies (over while drinking) was a mess!!!!

Large, clear, easy to read...and I could transcribe to the bound book later. Excellent idea!
I have a 5 subject notebook that I keep my batches in too! I transfer the recipes and specifics over. I always hand write a dated taste test for each occasion that I drink a beer that I brew.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 AM   #27
FoundersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Did you guys make a starter for this yeast? If not you may have put too much strain on it.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #28
RiseAgainstMe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where is the thermometer and clip from? I really want that.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundersBrew
Did you guys make a starter for this yeast? If not you may have put too much strain on it.
I didn't make a starter. If I end up with some off flavors and a not so good tasting beer, then I will know better next I use this yeast.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #30
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAgainstMe
Where is the thermometer and clip from? I really want that.
Southhillsbrewing.com is my LHBS website which is where I bought it!

Quick Reply