Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > AHS Pliny vs. the real thing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #31
GregR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpdogg View Post
It's good to see all of this feedback. I picked up two all-grain kits from AHS to do a 10gal batch and can't wait to brew it up! I have to admit that I thought drinking PTE was like sucking on a pine tree ... but it sure grew on me fast.

I hope some of you find your way to the Bay Area at the right time time of year to get some Pliny the Younger.
there is like one or two bars in San Diego that get the Younger each year, but I'm making a trip up there this February to taste it from the source!

That's what Jamil said.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #32
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Another taste as it's getting carbed up. The bitterness has taken a backseat to a floral bouquet of hops right in the face. Like nothing I've ever tasted. And the hops stick around, lingering on the palette, like they're not done with me yet.
Hmm. I'll have to try the real thing one day.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #33
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

This past weekend I chilled some of the Pliny down after 3.5 weeks in the bottle and it was awesome. I was EXTREMELY shocked when my friends even said they really liked it and we blew through a case of brown ale and the Pliny I had chilled. This is strange because typically they don't drink anything but watery Macro. It's strange because it's like a light went off and now my friends are all telling me they like craft brews and ask me for suggestions when just 6 months ago they were hesitant to even drink Dos Equis. I'm psyched that I have people to talk to now about beer!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #34
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow, I've been living in Beervana for the last 9 years, and I've still never had Pliny The Elder.

You've all unwittingly issued a challenge. Tomorrow, I shall visit John's Market and pick up two bottles of PTE, which will occupy my Thanksgiving weekend.

Bitterness, thy name is "Thanksgiving"!

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #35
Lynux
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Kegged mine up last night and put her on the gas. I decided to dry hop with 4 ounces in the primary (2 columbus, 1 simcoe, .75 centennial, .25 warrior) after fermentation was done and I put 3 ounces (1 simcoe, 1 columbus, 1 centennial) in the keg.

Initial tasting was HOPS...

This is going to be one sick beer!

"A good brew will quench the parched soul"

P - :-(
C - Flanders in Port Barrel
On Tap - BVIP, Brown Ale, Cider, Rye Saison, IPA
Bottled - Barleywine, Mead, Wit Wine, Flanders Red
On deck - Lambic

Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Fake pliny vs. really pliny tonight. I had to pick out a night where I could drink 1000ml of pliny and I guess tonight is the night.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #37
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

I did my comparison last night. I noticed a lot more aroma with the homebrew version and a lot more taste actually for the first few drinks. Once I got past the first few I started enjoying the commercial version more. Either way, they were both good.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #38
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Humann:
Which was which in the pics?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
Humann:
Which was which in the pics?
Oh sorry, I tried to get it so you could see the caps. Mine is on the left, a lot more cloudy as I did not use any kind of fining and there was a lot of hops in there to say the least.

I remembered the real thing being cloudy so I did this on purpose but I guess I should have thrown in a whirfloc tablet or something. Oh well, it is darn tasty.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #40
WVBeerBaron
Recipes 

I have a PTE clone from AHS sitting in the 2ndary right now about to be bottled this weekend. I could not believe the amount of dryhops, it's like a softball of hops floating around! This one smells fantastic. I have never tried the real thing, it's hard to find decent beer in the sticks on the east coast let alone PTE. But I made this because I love hops and everyone raves about it

After primary, I racked into the secondary and had so much yeast/trube I made an easy amber extract beer and dumped that into PTE's primary vessal. It began fermenting with an hour. When the amber was done primary I had a 5 inch deep layer on the bottom of the bucket!

How long do you let it age? Probably drinking it younger due to all the hop flavors.

KEGGED: Nut Brown, Smoked Porter, Blue Moon Clone 1, Blue Moon Clone 2, Something Red Amber Clone
CONTEMPLATING: Flanders Red, English IPA, Sack Mead

The elusive Beer Baron continues to thumb his nose at the authorities. Swaggering about in a garish new hat, he seemed to say "Look at me, Rex Banner! I have a new hat!" - The Simpsons

Quick Reply