New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > AHS Pliny vs. the real thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Lynux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm brewing mine tomorrow, should be a good day

"A good brew will quench the parched soul"

P - :-(
C - Flanders in Port Barrel
On Tap - BVIP, Brown Ale, Cider, Rye Saison, IPA
Bottled - Barleywine, Mead, Wit Wine, Flanders Red
On deck - Lambic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I goofed on my simcoe 30 min. addition and boiled it for 45 minutes. I moved the later additions later to compensate a bit. The hydro samples were great but after the dry hop my sample was very very bitter. I like IIPA's but this actually gave me bitter beer face. I'm hoping it was just hop trub that settled and was by the dip tube, I had the dry pellets in 2 super fine mesh hop bags. Man they smelled good when I pulled them out. It was a shame to toss them.
I just killed a keg of Haus Pale last night so there's a slot in the kegerator for this one. Hopefully cold crash and another week or 2 of conditioning will mellow out the bite.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #23
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

it may mellow out a little but Pliny's supposed to be EXTREMELY bitter and hoppy. I doubt it will ever get down below the "bitter beer face" level for you. This is probably one of the most bitter beers on the face of the planet.

Have you ever had the original Pliny the Elder?

Old 11-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
jkarp
Beer Herder

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My 1st keg of AHS Pliny is almost empty. DAMN has it been a good brew...

Old 11-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #25
bendavanza
Recipes 

There was a surprising jump in bitterness (like night and day) after the dry hop. Dry hopping should not add bitterness, right? So it must be the sample just had hop debris in it. It was also cloudy. I'll try it again after it has settled out more. I have not had the original but I've had plenty of hop bombs and uber iipa's. this tasted more like when you put a fresh hop in your mouth, and it tastes good at first , then starts to bite your tongue.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #26
Brewpatrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have my Pliny Clone from Morebeer in the secondary now with the dry hop addition. My OG reached 1.080 and when I checked the gravity at time of transfer it was at 1.018. Had it in primary for 16 days at 68-70 degrees. By claculations it should be right at 8% abv. like the real deal. I tasted the sweet goodness and was shocked that it already tastes like the real thing before the dry hop additions. Looking forward to it.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #27
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Drinking one of my Pliny clones right now for the first time. It's been 3.5 weeks in the bottle at ~62F so it probably still has some room to grow but WOW is it awesome. The biggest IPA I have had prior to this is the Stone Ruinition and it bows down to the hop flavor, aroma and bitterness in this beer.

It is slightly hazy but I was only able to do a quick chill in the freezer. I know, I know, but my tiny fridge is full of other beers I'm serving tonight for guests for the Penguins game. Also, the head is a little lacking but again with a quick chill what can I expect. Regardless the flavor is superb and it forces me to take tiny sips to make it last. It obviously has a very strong hop presence but it has a nice malty backbone with just a touch of sweetness at the end and a nice full mouthfeel. Only wish I had prior knowledge of what the real Pliny tastes like to compare. Thanks Austin Homebrew.

Last edited by Scut_Monkey; 11-21-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #28
bendavanza
Recipes 

Mine is improving with cold, co2 and time. Another week and 1/2 on the gas and I'll have hop heaven over here.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #29
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When comparing the two be sure to notice the bottled date for the Pliny. It will make a big difference when you taste them side by side. try to get them as close as possible.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:12 AM   #30
pkpdogg
Recipes 

It's good to see all of this feedback. I picked up two all-grain kits from AHS to do a 10gal batch and can't wait to brew it up! I have to admit that I thought drinking PTE was like sucking on a pine tree ... but it sure grew on me fast.

I hope some of you find your way to the Bay Area at the right time time of year to get some Pliny the Younger.

Quick Reply