New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > 7 day grain to glass hefe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #31
SamBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it looks like a starter...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #32
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze

What is your batch size, OG, how much yeast did you pitch, at what temp have you been fermenting?

There could be many reasons for what you're experiencing. If you under-pitched your yeast, it may take longer to complete fermentation. If you are fermenting very cool, it'll be slower. If you transferred to a secondary, you may have remove it from all the yeast that is necessary to clean up the byproducts of fermentation, thus leaving off flavors in the beer.
5.5-6 gallon batch
OG: 1.050
Pitched one swelled up pack of Wyeast Weinhenstephan (3036?) So 100B cells
Fermented in a cooler full of 65*F water
Grist was 70% wheat 30% munich I
Decoction mashed with rests at 145 158 and mashout/sparge at 170

The wyeast website says it produces a lot of sulfer and it did, stunk my whole fermentation room up lol but I've heard the yeast clean this up when left in primary for 3 weeks, mine is close to one week old airlock activity is over, could be slightly fermenting still altho active fermentation seems over

Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #33
barrooze
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Sounds like you should be ok. I recommend allowing the fermentation temp to ramp up to low-mid 70s and then hold it there for a few days. This will allow the yeast that's still active to clean up the by-products and remove the sulphur smell. I ramp the temp up on every batch I do towards the end of fermentation to help clean up the beer. Works great.

Also, next time you brew, make sure you use Mr. Malty's Pitching Rate calculator. Plugging in your info, you needed 193-210B cells to properly ferment your batch.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Germanic Pale Ale, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown Primary: None Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Texas Brown Ale On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
Sounds like you should be ok. I recommend allowing the fermentation temp to ramp up to low-mid 70s and then hold it there for a few days. This will allow the yeast that's still active to clean up the by-products and remove the sulphur smell. I ramp the temp up on every batch I do towards the end of fermentation to help clean up the beer. Works great.

Also, next time you brew, make sure you use Mr. Malty's Pitching Rate calculator. Plugging in your info, you needed 193-210B cells to properly ferment your batch.
I don't disagree with anything you say, but I don't like calculating pitch rates. I've never heard of a downside to overpitching (esp for a hefe) other than an initial blowoff. Under pitching is a problem.
Solution = healthy starter. It has always worked fine for me.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #35
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Oh yeah I know, I got a stir plate and make starters, but I was told underpitching will help ester production and overpitching will kill all ester production

Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #36
barrooze
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I agree that stressing the yeast slightly can aid in ester production, and you can do that by slightly under-pitching. Pitching only half the amount of yeast recommended will affect fermentation rate. You may not have enough yeast to fully ferment the beer, or clean up the beer at the end of fermentation. Just an FYI from my experiences.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Germanic Pale Ale, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown Primary: None Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Texas Brown Ale On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #37
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze
I agree that stressing the yeast slightly can aid in ester production, and you can do that by slightly under-pitching. Pitching only half the amount of yeast recommended will affect fermentation rate. You may not have enough yeast to fully ferment the beer, or clean up the beer at the end of fermentation. Just an FYI from my experiences.
That's true, I hooked up my blow off tube and really didn't need it, never had a blowoff form, maybe next one ill do a 1.25-1.5L Starter

Old 06-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #38
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 25 Posts

I have had a Hefe clear up in the keg and it loses the yeast flavor. Took the keg out, swirled it a bit, perfect again.

7 day Hefeweizens are awesome. I have made several myself, even fermented at 62 degrees.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Quick Reply