Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > are your BS temps always off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
laughingboysbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingboysbrew View Post
What am I missing? thanks!
Ok, I just noticed that BS is forcing the Mash Tun Deadspace Addition of 3.20 qts which is the diff between what it is telling me and my calculation. However, still puzzled on the decoction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingboysbrew View Post
hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I am having some issues with BS temps. I'm sure it's me, just need help figuring it out. I have historically had no issues with "lookup" recipes and adjusting for my equip, but I am trying to enter my first recipe from scratch and the numbers in BS are not matching what the brewer suggested. Here’s what I mean:

I am entering for a 10.5 gal batch with equipment profile: 10 gallon cooler, 15gal boil (default profile). Below is the default mash schedule for "Decoction Mash, Single". However, I manually tweaked the “protein rest” step from the default 122F to 133F and entered water/grain of 1.25 qts/lb. If I do my math 21lbs * 1.25 = 26.25 qts of water for strike, not 29.45??? Also, everything I read says decoction 1qt / 1lb of grain (plus a little extra). Here, it’s listed as 9.57qts which is less than half that, and I don’t see a way to change it. When I open the Sacch rest step to tweak it…there’s an error because "Water to add" is -0.01. Any ideas what I'm mis-reading?

What am I missing? thanks!
Your mash dead space at the bottom right is 3.2. 26.25 + 3.2 = 29.45.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
laughingboysbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Your mash dead space at the bottom right is 3.2. 26.25 + 3.2 = 29.45.
Doh. Thanks. And as a kid I once said, "when will I ever need this in real life"....
fermenting: Skipping Stone IPA
planning: Dopplebock

Quick Reply