Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Will software help a noob?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
Beer Snob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

First off I want to say one thing. I love the sotware thats out there. Have ProMash and BeerTools now and thinking of getting BrewSmth just cause I thought Beer Tools was going to be able to do some other things that I have been told that Beer Smith does very easily. These tools have helped me brew some INCREDIBLE BEERS. With all this said and done I want to say one other thing. I was brewing some incredible beers way before I started using software.

So... Hmmm.... will software help? Um... software can help. One reason it can help is that if you are a bit on the soft side when you record your recipies and results on paper at least you have it in the software. This would not describe me in my first attempts at brewing. I wrote EVERYTHING down. Hmm.... here's the deal. I'm a bit afraid to just jump on that bandwagon and say software will help you. So I have to ask as someone else here, what books do you have now that you have read about brewing? I know you said you have been reading the online 'How to Brew" book and its a great place to start. A software see will not tell you about the procedure or why you should care if you pop a bread yeast in thier instead of a beer yeast. Nor will it tell you why you should use black patent as apposed to one of the other dozens of grains. See where I'm getting at?

So remember. A software package is a tool. A real good tool let me tell you. Will it make you a better brewer. No. You will still need to know what is in a few books. Your in a great place here. Loads of people to help you in every aspect of brewing.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Last edited by Beer Snob; 12-22-2007 at 11:12 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 03:33 AM   #12
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd recommend reading Designing Great Beers and potentially experimenting with software a bit.

My method for designing recipes is always to check the section in DGB, then research existing recipes, then design something based on that information and what I know about my own likes and dislikes.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply