Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Who To Trust more?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
noodle23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Who To Trust more?

Ok so i use both hopville and Beertools. Which program can i trust to give more accurate estimates. For example im building my reciepe for a barley wine and hopville says even with 6oz of Magnum at 14aa and all the other hop additions i only hit 77ibu while Beertools says that with only 6oz Magnum at 14aa and no other hop additions im already at 113ibu.
Help me out
CHeers,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4633 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

It's been shown, via lab testings, that each of the bittering formulaes used for estimation have flaws. However, Tinseth has been reported as being the most consistently accurate compared to tested results. But, even Tinseth has it's limits to accuracy.

The truest answer to your question is, use whatever software you like most as a formulation guide but ultimately you have to trust your own subjective perception and relate that to the figures resulted from the software.

That is to say, treat the estimate number as a baseline and adjust up and down from that based on subjective perception.

But first, make sure that both applications are set to use the same methods for compuataion. If Hopvilles uses Rager and BeerTools uses Tinseth, as defqaults, then the numbers will, definately, not correlate to one another.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Fionnbharr
Just Some Guy in a Hat

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 19

On another note, never trust someone who points out that the question you wanted to ask was "Whom to trust more?" -- not "Who".

Or that, since you're asking about software (not people), it's "Which to trust more?".

Just, you know, being helpful :-D

"Omit needless words."

- Strunk & White
"Eschew obfuscation."
- Anon.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionnbharr View Post
On another note, never trust someone who points out that the question you wanted to ask was "Whom to trust more?" -- not "Who".

Or that, since you're asking about software (not people), it's "Which to trust more?".

Old 07-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Fionnbharr
Just Some Guy in a Hat

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Back atcha!

C'mon -- it was supposed to be funny!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
jerryodom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
that's good comedy. lol

I brew beer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Read more about it on my blog: Bayou Beer.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Woodbury419
Recipes 

I created a spreadsheet on excel because of some issues I had with some software. I took the many formulas and tweaked them to my specifications and equipment I use. Although, my spreadsheet is finished...I'm still perfecting some portions on it.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbury419 View Post
I created a spreadsheet on excel because of some issues I had with some software. I took the many formulas and tweaked them to my specifications and equipment I use. Although, my spreadsheet is finished...I'm still perfecting some portions on it.
I'm doing the same. I plan to use the IBU calculator that is in Ray Daniel's book and call it good.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

here's plenty of threads on here discussing it. Somewhere it should tell you what the default setting is, and even give you the option to change it.

Here's an explanation of how Beercalculus calculates it from their Hopville Blog;

Quote:
Previously, the default IBU calculation for Beer Calculus was based on an average of a few popular formulas. It did four calculations (Garetz, Rager, Tinseth, and the legacy Hopville calc) and averaged them together. I chose to blend a few conflicting numbers together instead of committing to a single one by default. That neutral position tended to cause some confusion among both types of brewers: those who cared which formula was in use, but didn’t know you could change it, and those who didn’t care at all. Plus, the only indication that a formula selection was being made was a subtle message “avg” near the IBU result – pretty vague about what was happening behind the scenes. Recipes now default to the Tinseth formula. Hopefully this will satisfy those who prefer this formula, and also clarify the default calculation to folks who don’t really care.
One of the most recent thread discussing this is here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/diff...ftware-218066/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply