Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > What's your beersmith process when you brew the same recipe again?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
bctdi
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What's your beersmith process when you brew the same recipe again?

Just curious how people handle brewing the same recipe over again and using beersmith. I'm kind of torn between creating a whole new file and modifying an existing file with notes from my latest version of a particular beer.Sometimes I will modify a recipe, but the problem is not being able to go back and look at past mistakes.
So what's your process? do you modify an existing recipe and not look back, or do you create a whole new file and label it "batch 2" or "batch 3" etc.....or do you just keep adding to your notes within an existing file to see changes in the process or recipe?
Just looking for the easiest way to retain my data so I can improve my process for a given recipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

On beersmith 2 there's a button that you can click called versions that you can assign a number too. Then I just save it as a separate recipe. I usually also indicate what changes I made in the note section, making sure that the original recipe info is there, in case I over write the original file or something.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
bctdi
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
On beersmith 2 there's a button that you can click called versions that you can assign a number too. Then I just save it as a separate recipe. I usually also indicate what changes I made in the note section, making sure that the original recipe info is there, in case I over write the original file or something.
Does bs 2 pre populate the fields with the malt / hops / yeast from the original recipe? Or do you just start with a clean slate and add in everything manually?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bctdi View Post
Does bs 2 pre populate the fields with the malt / hops / yeast from the original recipe? Or do you just start with a clean slate and add in everything manually?
Everything stays exactly the same except for the version number you assign. Just make sure to save it under a different name than the original.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1233 Times on 997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnosaj View Post
Everything stays exactly the same except for the version number you assign. Just make sure to save it under a different name than the original.
A classic example of why BS2 is about the most user-belligerent software I've ever used - and being computer literate since the 70s (BS/EE in 74 and in systems design ever since) that covers a heck of a lot of ground.

"Versions" should be meta data that is part of the original. It shouldn't require renaming...

Cheers!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
bctdi
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnosaj View Post
That may be reason enough to upgrade to BS 2. I don't know if there is a way to do that with bs 1 or not.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

So what's the advantage of using versions instead of just naming the second version "Pale Ale 2", since it sounds like you need to rename anyway?

Fake it til you make it.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You don't have to rebuild the recipe. You just save it as Pale Ale Ver2 and fill in the gravity fields. Unless you have your system dialed in to perfection, there will be slight differences in the way you brew the second batch. For instance, your 30 minute hop addition got added at 20 because you had one too many homebrews and couldn't find your timer...or your hops...or the brew kettle. You just update it in BeerSmith on that Ver2 recipe and see what you get.

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Single Tier Wooden Brutus build

Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsBrew View Post
You don't have to rebuild the recipe. You just save it as Pale Ale Ver2 and fill in the gravity fields. Unless you have your system dialed in to perfection, there will be slight differences in the way you brew the second batch. For instance, your 30 minute hop addition got added at 20 because you had one too many homebrews and couldn't find your timer...or your hops...or the brew kettle. You just update it in BeerSmith on that Ver2 recipe and see what you get.
Right, but if i just copy and paste the original recipe and call it Pale Ale 2, the exact same thing happens, from what it sounds. And I don't have go into the recipe to do it.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I use the Brew Log feature. Just select a recipe from your list and click "Copy to Log" on the Home tab. It will make an exact copy and save it to your Brew Log folder, then make whatever changes you want, change date, select version and brew. If you've changed the version it will automatically save it as Beer Name Xyz (1.1) or whatever version you choose.

Quick Reply