The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Web Based Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
jtaylorq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Web Based Brewing Software

Hey guys,

How much would everyone pay (per month) for a web-based version of Beersmith that gave you all the functionality from anywhere you had an internet connection, but also had a completely automated mash and boil timer/countdown instead of just cranking out a printable brewsheet?

-Justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I wouldn't want to pay monthly for something like that. I currently use BeerSmith on my computer, the upload my recipes to BrewBlogger. Then I put all of my brew logs in BrewBlogger.

On brew day I use BrewTimer to keep track of boil additions from my phone. I just can't see myself subscribing to a service which I pay for monthly to do that.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with diatonic.

diatonic, are you using pythagorean tuning? .... ahhh.....sorry too many music theory classes ...

Keg4: StarSan
Bottle: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Secondary: 68ºF air
Primary1: Cider
Primary2: Nothing
Planned: hmmmmmm

You mean a woman of your culture and money and beauty and money and wealth and money would, would marry that imposter?

Poison for email spiders

Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
509inc
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I'm not down with software as a service. I would never pay a monthly fee for a brew software.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
diatonic, are you using pythagorean tuning? .... ahhh.....sorry too many music theory classes ...
You should win some kind of award for being the first Internet person to pick up on the meaning of this nickname I've used for about 12 years.

I'm a classically trained pianist. My mom has her masters degree in piano pedagogy, and my brother has his phd in music, and is a viola professor.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
jtaylorq
Recipes 

So, you guys hate the idea of a web-based software that matches and exceeds BeerSmith's functionality or the monthly fee?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, there's a few things I don't link about it. Even a small monthly fee would be more expensive than BeerSmith quickly. I also don't like that you refer to it as a "web-based version of Beersmith" when you have no rights to BeerSmith. I would have received it better if you called it "web based brewing software."

There are a lot of free web-based brewing apps. I would need to see what you have to offer before commenting on what it is worth.

What BeerSmith does, it does very well. Brad has worked hard on it, and is rolling out a new version in the coming months.

I also didn't like that your first post on this board was "how much would you guys be willing to pay (per month) for a web-based version of Brad Smith's brewing software?"

2° - Nuthin

Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I wouldn't pay anything for something like that since Beercalculus is free.....Even though I use beersmith now I only made the jump to it because originally you couldn't save recipes, but a month after I bough Beersmith beercalculus added a save feature....so no, I don't see folks paying for an online brewing software where beercalculus and a bunch more are free. Including beer times which I even have on my phone for free and never use because I usually just use my digital timer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
jtaylorq
Recipes 

Fair enough guys. I apologize if I ruffled any feathers, but the guys in my brew club have been rumbling for months about how frustrating it is to have to keep using a software that looks circa 1995 and to only have it available on PC.

One of the guys in the group, and myself, was just wondering what other brewers thought about the idea of something web based. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I probably came off more curt than I intended to. I've run BeerSmith 1.4 on Mac and Linux under Wine (though the internet explorer dependence makes it more of a pain than it should be.)

BeerSmith 2 is currently being beta tested on Mac & Windows and is expected to release in a couple of months.

I agree that the UI is not the prettiest, but it makes a lot more sense to me than others I have tried. Beer Tools Pro, Pro Mash, etc. I even bought Brew Pal for my iPhone, and while pretty, is not very intuitive.

2° - Nuthin

Quick Reply