Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Transferring Beersmith Data to a new computer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Transferring Beersmith Data to a new computer?

Can it be done? I am far from a computer guru, but I do hjave a seperate Lap Top that I use as my brewing computer which has had Beersmith on it for about 5-6 years. I am getting ready to replacen the older lap top with a new one as the older one is starting to show her age. So, the question is up, how do I get the Beersmith data from old computer to new computer?

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
MeanGreen
Recipes 

I've had to do this twice now.

Theres 2 ways. If you are using a Windows based system you should be able to use the Microsoft Easy Transfer and it will "ghost" everything over to the new system through usb to usb connection

the other way would be to manually export anything custom you have, recipes,inventories, equipment.

That just involves highlighting it, naming it and putting it on a hard drive to reimport once you install beersmtih on the new computer.

The first method is the most painless and should bring everything you need over including beersmith

Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've just copied the entire program directory over and it works fine. I just tested it from an XP machine to a Windows 7 machine and it works. ( Brad Smith - I deleted the directory after the test... )

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

x2 to copying the program directory. It's default location is C:\Program Files\BeerSmith

Just copy that directory from your old computer to somewhere like my documents on your new computer. Install BeerSmith. Copy your old BeerSmith directory into the new one in c:\program files overwriting whenever it asks. Just about the only thing kept in the Windows registry is the product key (which you will have to re-enter on the new machine but you'd have to do that anyway).

Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
RLinNH

Recipes 

What if I just want to tranfer the recipes from my old Lap Top to my new one? I'm talking step by step instructions here folks.

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 10-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
RLinNH

Recipes 

So here's what I'm thinking. Hook the 2 computers up via USB Cable. An icon should pop up in the new computer telling me that the opld computer is linked. Open up Brew Smith in old and new computer, and drag the recipes into the new compute'rs Brew Smith Icon. Sound like it would work?

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Lgaddy44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
x2 to copying the program directory. It's default location is C:\Program Files\BeerSmith

Just copy that directory from your old computer to somewhere like my documents on your new computer. Install BeerSmith. Copy your old BeerSmith directory into the new one in c:\program files overwriting whenever it asks. Just about the only thing kept in the Windows registry is the product key (which you will have to re-enter on the new machine but you'd have to do that anyway).
I just got a new laptop and wanted to transfer my old Bersmith 1.4 onto it. I'm computer stupid, but I followed these instructions. Very happy to say that it appears to be a success. I have all of my old brews copied on to the new laptop.

Thanks!

Maverick Moon Miner Brewing

Quick Reply