New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > timer program for phones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Homercidal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Default timer program for phones?

I've got a Windows Mobile phone, my wife has an iPod, and I have friends with Droid phones (and I'm thinking about switching to Droid myself).

Is there an App that would work on all devices that can manage several timers for alerting for additions?

or, what language would you recommend and where can I get a compiler for doing this? I'm not afraid of learning a little bit in order to program something this simple. It's just been a long time since I've programmed.

I really want to get back into programming some tiny simple stuff that might be useful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a program called Homebrew Calculator on my Droid. It has a nice timer that notifies you of additions.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
RandomSF
Recipes 

For timing, I use OI Countdown on my Android. One timer finishing can trigger the next, so hops additions are simple. For calculations, I use and like Brewzor.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Ricand

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomSF View Post
For timing, I use OI Countdown on my Android. One timer finishing can trigger the next, so hops additions are simple. For calculations, I use and like Brewzor.
I loved that timer on the Droid, but I had to uninstall it. It would randomly start up, do alerts at bad times and run in the background. The running in the background was the worst thing about it, made your total battery life 3-4 hours.

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
RandomSF
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricand View Post
I loved that timer on the Droid, but I had to uninstall it. It would randomly start up, do alerts at bad times and run in the background. The running in the background was the worst thing about it, made your total battery life 3-4 hours.
Yes, if it did that on mine, I'd uninstall it, too. You might write the developer and mention it.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Ricand

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomSF View Post
Yes, if it did that on mine, I'd uninstall it, too. You might write the developer and mention it.
I did, but since he can't charge for it anymore he's not doing any more work on it. Not a hijack, since I have the same question as the OP, any other good Droid apps?

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Hammy71 Likes This 
Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For beer/brewing? Or in general?

I like Beer Free which allows you to save tasting notes on beers that you've tried recently.

Beer Tour is nice if you go to Old Chicago and are a participant in the tour. It tracks your beers, tells you whats on tap, and lets you rate beers.

I also have Brewzor...very nice app, but I like the look and feel of Homebrew Calculator better.

I downloaded an app called beer cloud (I think?) which was a very cool concept, but I couldn't get it to work on my phone. It requires you to use a certain barcode scanner. If you scan a beer while at the store, it'll bring up all the information on it, and user ratings.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
Homercidal

Recipes 

So, nothing for Windows Mobile?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Homercidal

Recipes 

I found one called SimpTimer, which has like a row of 6 timers that you can set and turn on and off. Basically all I'm looking for. Now to see if it's junk or if it works.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

We've been discussing the need for a brewing recipe calculator or a droid version of beersmith, or something that works with existing brewing software here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/working-recipe-designer-batch-manager-android-whos-interested-177638/

I just downloaded a basic stopwatch/countdown timer to use during brewing. Homebrew calculator's timer doesn't work that well imho. And brewzor doesn't have one.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply