Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Things I like about iBrewmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
alestateyall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I recently (in March) made a post here titled "Thinks I don't like about iBrewmaster". I have now used iBrewmaster for a few months and have decided to address the opposite side of the coin, things I like about the app.

Here we go.

1) Support
The app developer is very good at supporting the tool. You can request support inside the tool, here on HBT, or through email and the developer will get back to you ASAP.

2) New Features
The app includes the ability to request new features and the ability to vote on new features requested by others. This is a nice democratic way to improve the app. Not only can we as users request new features, but, the developer actually adds them.

img_0287.jpg

For example 2 of my complaints in the old thread have already been addressed. First, the app used to not calculate efficiency. It does now. Second, it used to be hard to navigate from a batch screen to the location to input the grain temp for an all grain recipe. A shortcut button was added. (PS. I need this because I keep my crushed grain in the refrigerator and often forget to take them out the day before brewing. I like to change to the grain temp to fridge temps when that happens)

3) Batches
iBrewmaster separates recipe development from batch history. This is nice because often I will start with a base recipe and then make minor changes on brew day. I can record the minor changes, details specific to the batch (OG, etc), and notes from brew day with the batch.

4) Inventory
iBrewmaster can keep an inventory of ingredients on hand and then update the ingredients list with the press of a button from the batch screen. I don't tax this feature too heavily, however, I do have a large quantity of hops on hand and I track them with this feature. It has worked well.

5) Dropbox support
Recently iBrewmaster added the ability to back up your recipes it Dropbox. I like the idea of backing up to a third party service. It seems more reliable than trusting an app developer's server (or even my own server).

6) Schedule
iBrewmaster keeps a nice schedule of the beers in progress. This is a nice touch as you can see at a glance when you expect to keg a beer or when to serve another.

Bottom line: While iBrewmaster is expensive (relative to other apps) I think it was a worthy purchase and I recommend it. This is a retraction on my part. My older post recommended otherwise. I still stand by some of my previous complaints (I want larger text, mash water calculations need work, navigation could be improved, and I don't like all the sliders for input), however, overall I am now an iBrewmaster proponent.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Chavi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I couldn't agree with you more. I have the iPad version of the application and use it all the time. Like you said the support is incredible and the app runs so great. It is somewhat expensive but compared to other software like beersmith it is a bargain. Building recipes is super easy and whats great too is the community aspect. You can upload/search recipes from other users which is a cool feature.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
ajm163
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I posted a review of ibrewmaster in my brew blog yesterday. you should find a link in my signature. over all I really like it although it is a bit pricey for an app

My Brew Blog
http://angryocelotbrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply