Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Things I don't like about iBrewMaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #71
iBrewMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Accidic,
Yes, we did have some initial issues with the Android version but have put out 6 updates since it's initial release and will continue to until all the little bugs are weeded out. After that, we'll be looking to add a lot more additional features that the iOS versions enjoy. We take the apps extremely serious, appreciate user feedback, constructive criticism and active participation in reporting bugs and suggesting new features. That's really the only way we can truly fix problems and address users needs, so please feel free to post suggestions on our site under Support & Feedback. This is where users can suggest new features and other users can vote on them so that we can prioritize new enhancements.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #72
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrewMaster View Post
Hey CBelli,
We received your export. For the sake of other users, we'll summarize:

That equals an OG of 1.05589. Your recipe shows 1.056, which is 1.05589 rounded!

So, again…we've done this at least 2 dozen times for doubting users! Perhaps other apps have been off all along! :-D

Cheers!
I went back and created a new test batch with 12lbs of 2row only -- no hops or yeast to compare software... and IBM matches all my other software on that!! I understand that you tweaked the trub loss numbers and I uploaded an update a couple days ago, this "TEST" recipe was the first new one I entered since....
My question is... does the update change the numbers for previous recipes?? That would explain a lot...

I also want to publicly say that IBM certainly calculates gravity correctly in this new recipe... I just wish I could figure out the reason my other recipes don't match?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #73
iBrewMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Hey CBelli,
Well, that depends....if you change anything with your default Mash / Eq Profile settings, iBrewMaster will recalculate the data for those that are set to Auto Calculate. So, if you have over-rode one of the fields with a manually entry, then it wouldn't.

In either case, we're glad to see we're matching up for you! Our first and foremost priority is a stable, bug-free and accurate app, so we're always glad to hash it out and look at the details to ensure that!

Cheers!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #74
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I want bludgeoning you re: the issues with it. I see most working themselves out (i need to send another email but haven't had the time). The short list is I'm still having issues with some entries showing up in ml regardless of measure and I've noticed since one of the patches I can't select a style anymore. Seems as if the export/import was fixed this mornings patch tho.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #75
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Stopped using it

I have waited a few months for IBM updates before I made my final decision....
I stopped using IBM, actually never really started.... not only did I have a hard time matching gravity with previous software but the fact that it was not capable of calculating sparge water, rendered it completely useless.... How can any all grain brewer, other than BIAB, use brewing software that will not calculate sparge water???

How can this be left out of any brewing software?
Especially the most expensive one?

I did contact customer support (months ago) and received a quick reply of a multi step workaround that was more confusing than it needed to be.

I guess I'll stick with beersmith, although the ipad app is far from useful at least the main software is best in class

Old 01-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #76
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 449

*** ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT ***

I'm reviving this thread, because I just got an Android phone and was wondering if this app has improved at all. This thread and the reviews of the app on the Google store pretty much say that the iOS version was great, but the Android version is terrible.

The last post on this thread was almost a year ago, and the most recent reviews I saw were near that same time frame.

Did they continue to fix bugs and do updates? Are the calculations really actually wrong?

Or is this whole fiasco due to fans of Apple products hating Android devices and there were never any actual problems with the app?

I'm a poor grad student, so I don't want to spend $10 on the app, if it is going to end up sucking.

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 04-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #77
stdywell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa FE View Post
Almost entirely the way it is for me, I don't use BeerSmith anymore, I carry around my iPad, and use ibrewmaster.
It's not that we are not as experienced or don't know what we're missing. I like having the inventory, the ability to design a recipe at a friends house, and email a recipe when I'm not at my computer.
I actually hate the new BeerSmith 2.0, the screen is almost too busy! There are some nice things about BeerSmith, but for me, they do to out weigh the perks of ibrewmaster for me.
I also like the fact that when I email the developer, which I have done several time, the average response time is less than 3 hours, and not a canned response like some grain mill manufacturers, but an actual answer.
I liked this app, until I started having issues with OG/FG readings like -223346557876. I have contacted these people and all I get is "I'll get it to the developer" I have sent them recipes and batches and it has been SIX WEEKS waiting for a response . This has drastically changed my opinion of this app to crap. If you are not going to support something, then just say so.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #78
squash1978
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use iBrewMaster2 and it works well for me. I have not used any other apps, so I don't have anything to compare it too though. There a few things about it that I don't like but they are pretty minor.

1. I do BIAB and getting the strike water volume/temperature calculation is two-step process. It does not spit out the total volume and water temperature you need automatically based on your mash profile and batch size. To figure out the total water you need, you have to enter a known water quantity in your mash step (I use 10 qts for simplicity). Once you do that and save, iBrewMaster2 will show you how much "sparge" water you need. Adding the two together gives you your total volume needed for BIAB. You then have to go back to the mash step and enter to correct volume to get the water temp calculation. It's not obvious at first and would be nice if I didn't have to go through the extra steps. One time I forgot to do the second step and accidentally heated my strike water much higher than it should have been. I only realized what had happened once I doughed in and saw that my mash temp was too high.
  2. The batch log sucks. It's accessed via a dog-ear graphic on the bottom right corner of the batch summary, which is not obvious. Furthermore, each entry you add only shows up on 1 line. Totally useless in my opinion. At first I was really disappointed about this but I started using Evernote for keeping my batch notes and far prefer it instead. There is only so much typing I can do on my phone and I probably would not keep as good of notes on it.
  3. It only calculates efficiency ones you've entered the FG of a batch. I wish it had the ability to calculate my efficiency after I finish mashing. That information would be much more useful to me. It's not terrible b/c my pre-boil OG will tell me if I'm where I need to be for the recipe but I would still be nice to know as I am brewing. I wish it tracked and allowed you to enter your pre-boil OG along with your pre-boil volume.

That said, I'm pretty satisfied with iBrewMaster2 and those issues are not big enough to cause me to switch to another app. One thing I do like about iBrewMaster2 is that it is maintained on regular basis, much more so than the BeerSmith mobile app and to certain extent the Brewer's Friend app. That's a big selling point for me b/c I can have greater confidence in regular improvements and updates.

Quick Reply