The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Things I don't like about iBrewMaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
I have tried to use ibrewmaster on a brew buddy's ipad for two batches. It just frustrated me to the point that I refused trying to use it for a third. It actually turned me off of brewing software. Now I have downloaded brewtarget and it took me 10 min to get comfortable with, love it.
Actually, that's why I teach BeerSmith, and other programs to my club, and have now added Brewpal and ibrewmaster, so so they can see the differences between all the programs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
cherokee180c
Recipes 

I have both and love 2 main features of iBrewmaster that make it the choice on brew day, Multiple simultaneous timers with associated alarms and prompts as well as the recipe sharing, which I find better than Beersmith. A lot ot HBT recipes are on the share server already! I am brewing Bee Cave IPA tomorrow from this database that is expanding fast. Easy a hell to find as well. The mash steps are a pain to figure out, but work once you figure out the quirks. That needs to be fixed for sure! The lack of calculated efficiency should have also been fixed before the inventory module was added IMHO. Anyway the program is constantly getting better so $10 was a bargain IMHO. Try to get a kid to mow your lawn for $10. Beersmith doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get an iPad app out anytime soon.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
I have both and love 2 main features of iBrewmaster that make it the choice on brew day, Multiple simultaneous timers with associated alarms and prompts as well as the recipe sharing, which I find better than Beersmith. A lot ot HBT recipes are on the share server already! I am brewing Bee Cave IPA tomorrow from this database that is expanding fast. Easy a hell to find as well. The mash steps are a pain to figure out, but work once you figure out the quirks. That needs to be fixed for sure! The lack of calculated efficiency should have also been fixed before the inventory module was added IMHO. Anyway the program is constantly getting better so $10 was a bargain IMHO. Try to get a kid to mow your lawn for $10. Beersmith doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get an iPad app out anytime soon.

Quoted for truth!

Well said, I am not as articulate.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I agree too. I use it exclusively now on my iPhone. Always handy. On competition entry forms it's my assistant brewer.

The OP could have written an app with the time it took to document all of those terrible shortcoming. RDWHAHB.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
Accidic

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Maybe he's not a programmer. Frankly I appreciated the time he took to detail the shortcomings of the program. This also didn't turn me away from my intent to purchase it (I refuse to buy apple products personally unless they really dazzle me and currently only carry an Android option... Damn iPad3 is trying it's damndest as we speak.) but I do like that now I won't feel as let down by it as a couple of his gripes would irritate me as well. What I gathered of his review was that the Developer makes a concerted effort and for my $10 bucks (or whatever it ends up being within reason) that's all I really ask. I suspect many of the "shortcomings" will get fixed over time as the guys clearly just have a lot on their plate right now. This might not happen as quickly if there weren't people willing to point them out rather than going on an ego stroking tirade that most of the previous reviews I had read were comprised of.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Is this ibrewmaster really $10 for my iPhone and another $15 for my iPad?

This keeps me away.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #27
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidic
This might not happen as quickly if there weren't people willing to point them out rather than going on an ego stroking tirade that most of the previous reviews I had read were comprised of.
I tried hard to make my review fair. It was not an ego stroking tirade.

I do appreciate that the developer is working hard. I think the app will get better.

I just don't think the app is worth $10 when compared to the $0.99 Brewpal and compared to my personal spreadsheet.

PS. I am a computer eng'g professor. I don't program everyday but I have done a lot of programming in industry jobs in the past.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #28
polvofiloso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
for people who are new to brewing software and don't know enough to know what they are missing, and are especially looking for something for ipad, then ibrewmaster is probably more acceptable.
This is me. I use iBrewmaster, have never used any other brewing software, and I like it. I probably don't know what I'm missing, but when I was looking for brewing software the number one priority for me was that it be native on my iPhone. It does have a few quirks and outright deficiencies, but overall I find it to be well worth the ten bucks. As iPhone apps go that's pretty steep, but having a developer that issues updates semi-regularly is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar View Post
In regards to the $10. I realize I am not going to need to file bankruptcy due to the loss of the $10, but, I don't think the tool was $9.01 better than Brewpal. The impression I got from reviews here and on iTunes was "it rocks" to quote Revvy. I am more of the opinion that iBrewMaster is a work in progress that has a ways to go.
Perhaps you should hit those reviewers up, both here on on iTunes, for your refund rather than the developer or Apple, since the reviewers are the ones who influenced your purchase so heavily?

That said I do appreciate your comments, and they will be a great addition to the knowledgebase here. I too found, after purchasing and using the app, that it didn't quite live up to what I expected from the reviewers (although I'm still happy with it and looking forward to it improving over time).

I'm a lot lower-tech of a brewer than most of you guys, I haven't made the jump to all-grain yet. Perhaps when I do the deficiencies kehaar points out will matter more to me. But as an extract brewer the program does have one problem that I either haven't figured out the way to do it yet, or it the app isn't equipped for it: steeping grains in extract recipes. Where the hell do you put those?

Interesting thread, thanks to both the pros and cons for speaking up!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #29
scubakevdm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It rocks!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #30
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick
Is this ibrewmaster really $10 for my iPhone and another $15 for my iPad?

This keeps me away.
Like some apps, I wish you only had to buy it once. For $15 I'd like to have it on my iPhone too. It'd be nice if they linked so I could use my iPhone for quick reference.

I used it again on a brew day yesterday and like it. I just couldn't figure out how to calculate sparge water volume for a double batch sparge (or single). The strike water calcs are all there.

Quick Reply