Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Tell Brad at Beersmith we want a mobile version!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #31
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2725 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
I got a response as well, basically he said he's working on the cloud for recipe transfer and the app would get next priority. I guess well wait and see.
I'm the one who started this thing, both here and my local brewing group on FB, and I'm like the only one who hasn't gotten a response.

But I'll say it again. He's got his priorities wrong. He really should roll the app out then do whatever the **** he wants about "clouds" I don't give a flying frig about cloud connectivity. I want a freaking mobile ap yesterday. I'm now ready to buy Ibrewmaster if he still doesn't see an app as a priority.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 417 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm the one who started this thing, both here and my local brewing group on FB, and I'm like the only one who hasn't gotten a response.

But I'll say it again. He's got his priorities wrong. He really should roll the app out then do whatever the **** he wants about "clouds" I don't give a flying frig about cloud connectivity. I want a freaking mobile ap yesterday. I'm now ready to buy Ibrewmaster if he still doesn't see an app as a priority.
I agree with you Revvy, but I think your original request was so that your computer version and your phone version could talk. This (I believe) is why the "cloud" application is required.

Maybe just get the Android version out (I'm android not Iphone..) and work on the pc-phone communication afterwards?

Something as simple as an ability to import/export a file could be used instead of the "cloud". I kinda think the cloud thing is an annoying marketing ploy to get us all to trust all of our data to some corporate entity anyway.

(^conspiracy theory alert!).

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #33
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
Something as simple as an ability to import/export a file could be used instead of the "cloud". I kinda think the cloud thing is an annoying marketing ploy to get us all to trust all of our data to some corporate entity anyway.

(^conspiracy theory alert!).
I agree 1,000 with ALL the statements in this paragraph.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #34
TheAleMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Without some sort of "cloud" experience, how would you get it to the phone? Export it and email it to yourself and then open the attachment in your phone? I have not used Android since version 1.5, but then and now in the iPhone, if the Mail app does not recognize the file extension, it will not open. Without that sync (and why not do it through the cloud), you would have to recreate the recipe in the app (pointless). As someone who works in wireless and eCommerce, he is doing it correctly, IMO.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAleMaster View Post
.... how would you get it to the phone? Export it and email it to yourself and then open the attachment in your phone?
I'd be perfectly happy with this scenario. Or sync it via my I-tunes. Some folks are able to open beerxls. files on their mobile devices, using drop box.

I'm not opposed to cloud stuff, I just think his priorites are skewed. I want something on my phone NOW. He can clean it up and make it pretty and cloud for all I care later, as an update. But give me something I can use on my mobile device first.

Even if it is ugly, but at least let me look at my recipe on my phone.

Why do I have to consider going elsewhere (like to Ibrewmaster) when I've devoted over 5 years to beersmith?

We've only been asking for this for as long as we've had smartphones.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #36
TheAleMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You cannot just open beerxml (or any XML) files over Dropbox without an interpreter unless you want to read raw XML. Most who use Dropbox export to some sort of readable text file and upload that to Dropbox (that's what I do). In that case, there is nothing stopping you from doing that right now.

iTunes is not an option as it would require Apple to write code. I think the only viable non-cloud sync option, at least for iOS devices, would be a WiFi sync like BeerAlchemy uses. And at the point, syncing to the cloud is just as easy/difficult.

I definitely agree that developers of brewing apps have taken quite a long time developing mobile counterparts. I have no idea if this is their full time job, so I assume it is a hobby and that is why it has taken so long. But I am a BeerTools Pro user and am really in the same boat.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #37
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAleMaster View Post
iTunes is not an option as it would require Apple to write code.
No, it's not. You can write support for syncing documents via itunes into any application, so far as I know. Take a look at e.g. Stanza.

Same goes for DropBox. If the respective application supports the file format and has a way to talk to DropBox, then it will just work. However, I consider DropBox support as being "cloud" storage anyway.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #38
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I agree with Revvy! Get one with it already. I have an app for just about everything and me wants my Beersmith on me f***ing phone!!! Hell I have a remote control app for my tv for god's sake.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #39
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
No, it's not. You can write support for syncing documents via itunes into any application, so far as I know. Take a look at e.g. Stanza.

Same goes for DropBox. If the respective application supports the file format and has a way to talk to DropBox, then it will just work. However, I consider DropBox support as being "cloud" storage anyway.
+1 People on here ARE using dropbox to get to their beersmith files, I'm not savvy enough to do it though. And I don't think I should have to I want the developer of my favorite brewing software to do it for me. Or else I will migrate to another app that already is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
I agree with Revvy! Get one with it already. I have an app for just about everything and me wants my Beersmith on me f***ing phone!!! Hell I have a remote control app for my tv for god's sake.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #40
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3149 Times on 1965 Posts
Likes Given: 2663

He's one guy: Brad Smith. Take it easy everyone. You know it's not microsoft we are talking about. He's responded to many saying he's working on it; I think the indignation is a bit much.

It was only about 6 months ago when everyone was pissed off because he hadn't released a new version since 1.4.

Quick Reply