HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Sync Beersmith on multiple computers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
DNW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The nice thing about DropBox is that it is accessible from any computer with an internet connection.

Also, you CAN have it save multiple versions of a file. The free version automatically keeps all old copies for 30 days. You can add on for a fee.

Just note that you will need to run the version in the DropBox folder on the original computer or you won't see any of the changes.

-David

Brew on...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
jason.mundy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I did this over the weekend and wanted to make a post about it. But it appears that the post already exists

I may have taken this one step further. I copied the whole Beersmith application into my dropbox folder. I am able to run the application from my home desktop and laptop.

There doesn't appear to be any software issues with the program's registration.

Jason

Jason

Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
ocluke

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW View Post
The nice thing about DropBox is that it is accessible from any computer with an internet connection.

Also, you CAN have it save multiple versions of a file. The free version automatically keeps all old copies for 30 days. You can add on for a fee.

Just note that you will need to run the version in the DropBox folder on the original computer or you won't see any of the changes.
I've tried this, and I just keep getting multiple versions of the same files in the Beersmith directory each time that I open/close Beersmith on one of the computers. What am I missing here?

I'm not sure what you meant by "...you will need to run the version in the DropBox folder on the original computer...". Can you clarify?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
Smellyglove
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can't you just use the cloud folder for this, or am I missing something?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
jason.mundy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

When I posted in 2010, there wasn't a cloud folder.

Jason

Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried this but when I open Beersmith on the second computer, it is a "blank" version of it. No reciepes came through. How do I sync it. I open it in dropbox on the first computer and they are all there.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
ocluke

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Using Dropbox has not worked at all for me by changing the recipe folder to the specified Dropbox folder. Every single time, I end up with duplicate copies of files in the Beersmith2 folder (Recipe1, Recipe2, Recipe3, etc.). If you still want to try it after that warning, here is the method.

I haven't tried this yet, but this thread discusses using a symbolic directory link. If you feel like you know what you're doing and want to try it, I would try this instead, with the caveat that you do not want to ever have Beersmith 2 open on both computers at the same time.

The supported method that works for syncing recipes (but will not sync equipment profiles, ingredients, etc.) is using Beersmith's own Recipe Cloud, which costs $9.99-$35/year (on sale), depending on which membership level you choose. There is also a free basic level with limited functionality.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure I understand most of that. What I may understand is that there is no simple fix for my problem.

Quick Reply