Software for first time AGer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfyrasng

Reaction score
Just curious on your thoughts for calculators for someone who's never done any type of AG brewing. Thinking of going with the ProMash.

Suppose I should have asked first, but do I need to get any software? I plan on buying from NortherBrewer since it seems they have decent kits and good instructions.

You don't NEED software. If you want to follow a recipe, and assume you'll get the same efficiency, then don't worry about it. Or, if you're someone who likes math and wants to do it by hand, if you want to figure IBUs and efficiency. It's definitely not a necessity.

That said, it's the best $20 I ever spent on brewing. I can scale recipes, write my own recipes, figure IBUs, calculate my efficiency, change my water profile, figure yeast attenuation, keep my inventory, etc.

Even when I buy a kit, I type the recipe into my Beersmith software to look at the expected OG for my efficiency, and to change the instructions a bit to work better with my system. It's not a necessity, but it sure is nice!

You don't NEED software. If you want to follow a recipe, and assume you'll get the same efficiency, then don't worry about it. Or, if you're someone who likes math and wants to do it by hand, if you want to figure IBUs and efficiency. It's definitely not a necessity.

That said, it's the best $20 I ever spent on brewing. I can scale recipes, write my own recipes, figure IBUs, calculate my efficiency, change my water profile, figure yeast attenuation, keep my inventory, etc.

Even when I buy a kit, I type the recipe into my Beersmith software to look at the expected OG for my efficiency, and to change the instructions a bit to work better with my system. It's not a necessity, but it sure is nice!

+1 on all of that!

I also like software because I can keep detailed notes of a brew session from brew day through fermentation, bottling/kegging, and tasting notes. I like being able to compare with beers I brewed several years ago.

I've played around with a packages for Windows but I have found that
Brew Pal for the iPhone does pretty much everything I need.

I'm a Beersmith fan. Promash is just as good, I just found it a little...well "old school" feeling. That said, I know at least one commercial brewbup here using promash.

The good thing about either peice of software is that they can be as simple or as complex as you need them to be. Not sure about Promash, but Beersmith offers hydrometer calibration, volume and weight conversion, ingredient database, water calculation, carbonation calculator and much more.

+1 to Beersmith (no offense to anyone else), and How To Brew by Palmer. Another book I'd recommend is Designing Great Bears by Daniels. Those 3 things have gave me everything I have needed to brew great beer!

Thanks guys, I've really learned a lot in the last few days. Going to order an AG kit from NortherBrewer, and they have a promash printout on their site. Now I just need to learn to decipher it lol.

Thanks pivot, money isn't particularly an issue, since the programs are all in the 20s, just time at this point. But I'll definitely check it out, as I'm all about saving money where I can. Math and science have always been my strong point,

Coincidence......I think not! :rockin:

I bought Beersmith and like it, although I must say that I don't brew often enough to get good at using it. I always start my brewday and then have to sit down for a bit and figure out the mash portion of the software. I just have to play with it in my spare time and of course it would help if I were just a bit more prepared.

But Beersmith can do just about anything you need it to do. I have not used Promash, but I've heard good things about it as well.

I hope you go ahead and buy some software (I have found it very helpful), but know that reliable calulations depend upon predictable results (for example, how efficient are you at extracting the sugars, what is your evaporation rate, etc). And until you have some data, you are just guessing. Even so, the software can help you formulate recipes. It just won't give you predictable specific gravities unless your brewing process yields predictable results.

Thanks GMesick, once I move and get set up for doing AG on a regular basis, I'll be sure to get some software!

I bought VMware Fusion for my Mac just so I could still use Beersmith. It's one of those things where the first one you really understand and get comfortable with it what you love.

I use and really like Beertoolspro. It's probably 3rd in popularity but they are always working on it. It has a steep learning curve, but once you get it, the interface is much cleaner than beersmith.

I use BTP and BeerSmith ....I have all the others but them two are the ones I use the most. As for Promash that program has not been updated in many many ages and the developer does not plan on updating or releasing any new versions of the program.

I use and really like Beertoolspro. It's probably 3rd in popularity but they are always working on it. It has a steep learning curve, but once you get it, the interface is much cleaner than beersmith.

Does it in real time tell you whether you have the inventory for something?

Thats one of the things that really bugs me about Beersmith; it knows I have 7 oz of chocolate malt, it knows what the recipe needs, but doesn't give me any sort of warning when I pull up a recipe that needs a pound of it.

I wish I could say the BTP inventory feature is thorough and intuitive but I just haven't got it figured out yet.

It does have an inventory window where you can drag "catalog" items in and adjust the quantities. When you're subsequently building a recipe, you can grab items out of the big list or out of your inventory "my ingredients" list. The frustrating part is that you have to specifically hit a button that says "subract from inventory" or something to account for the loss, but I never got used to doing it and would always screw it up. I probably shouldn't even trash talk it though because I haven't put any effort into trying to work with it.

The way I envision inventory is that when you drag cascade hops out of your inventory into a recipe and increase the quantity past what is showing in inventory, that line should turn red or a negative quantity indicator should show up somewhere.

I wish I could say the BTP inventory feature is thorough and intuitive but I just haven't got it figured out yet.

It does have an inventory window where you can drag "catalog" items in and adjust the quantities. When you're subsequently building a recipe, you can grab items out of the big list or out of your inventory "my ingredients" list. The frustrating part is that you have to specifically hit a button that says "subract from inventory" or something to account for the loss, but I never got used to doing it and would always screw it up. I probably shouldn't even trash talk it though because I haven't put any effort into trying to work with it.

The way I envision inventory is that when you drag cascade hops out of your inventory into a recipe and increase the quantity past what is showing in inventory, that line should turn red or a negative quantity indicator should show up somewhere.

Sounds like BTP works the same way BrewSmith does.

I have the same vision you do.

Back