Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Simple Recipe Builder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
sumoweasel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Simple Recipe Builder

Okay so I am frustrated. I have brewed plenty of batches and even come up some recipes on my own. My problem is that I can't find a reference out there to building my recipes and what I should end up with. Is there a website or software out there that I can plug in my ingredients and it will tell me what I should end up with? (Lager, Ale, Pilsner, etc.)

My frustration lies in that the Beersmith demo that I downloaded has you pick a style that you are making, let's say an ale. Then it is free form as for the ingredients (grain, malt, yeast, hops). I want something that if I plug in 60L Crystal Malt, Gambrinus Honey Malt, Munton's DME, Cascade hops, and Mt. Hood with Cooper's Yeast....it will tell me what I should end up with......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

I don't know of any site or program that will do that, but I've never really looked. As far as I see, there are two ways to go about it, but both require a bit more work.

1. Check out a book like Designing Great Beers that explains history and recipes of classic styles. From those recipes, reverse engineer to your ingredients.

2. Brew a beer with the ingredients you're curious about. Keep it simple: base malt/extract, one specialty grain, one hop. Each time you brew, change one (and only one) element and keep track of how it changes the end product.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
sumoweasel
Recipes 

Many thanks. I'll give it a try and see. The best part is that either way I still get to make beer!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Google beer style judging

Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
SeaMonster
Recipes 

I used these two links for about a month before I broke down and bought BeerToolsPro. The software is good for determining OG, FG, SRMs and IBUs. As far as what ingredients go into what...the BJCP guidelines give a good overview.

I also second the idea of picking up Designing Great Beers. It has that info as well in addition to some historical notes on each style.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.html

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
ctorx
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm VERY late to the party here, but you can use this website to do what you're talking about. After you enter your ingredients it will show you which BJCP style you are closest to as well as calculate IBU, Alcohol %, Calories, Color, etc.

https://brewgr.com/homebrew-recipe-calculator

Quick Reply