Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Simple batch sparge in Beersmith2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
hops2it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Simple batch sparge in Beersmith2?

So I've been unsuccessful to get a seemingly simple mash setup in BS2. I'm wanting to do a single batch sparge, no mash out. Drain cooler for 1st runnings, then add higher temp sparge water to top off pot in order to get the grain temp up. That's all I want, those 2 steps.

If I just select single infusion, no mashout and select the "drain mash tun before sparge" option along with any combo of the batch sparge checkmarks nearby, I end up with a two step sparge. I don't want that. Same goes for just regular "single infusion". Seems like this should be SO much more simple, I'd like to get a repeatable process I can use for every brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check the box that says "batch sparge using batches that fill" and increase the number next to it until you only get one sparge on the brewsheet. Depending on what equipment you have selected it may not be possible to only sparge once.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
hops2it
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww9618 View Post
Check the box that says "batch sparge using batches that fill" and increase the number next to it until you only get one sparge on the brewsheet. Depending on what equipment you have selected it may not be possible to only sparge once.
That makes perfect sense and kinda what I thought too but when I check that box, the default number was already set to 100% and I have a 10 gallon cooler only doing a 5 gallon batch. Should be no problem to make that a one sparge scenario right? Doesn't work though.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
jww9618
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Even though BS defaults to 100% make sure that box is checked. If BS is still telling you to do multiple sparges try adding all the sparge water in one round. If it doesn't all fit do another round, no big deal. The numbers don't change depending on how many sparges you do. The only thing that will change is the brewsheet.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
hops2it
Recipes 

That's what i would like is for the brewsheet to show a single sparge. True I could just add the numbers up and do it with a single but surely there must be a way to force it into a single. Im not the only person who would consider the draining of their mash tun step 1 of 2 right? With a batch sparge to follow? I figured that was quite common and the settings seem to exist for that scenario but don't work as I would believe. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong Idk. I will double check to make sure I don't accidentally have a 5 gallon tun selected. That's the only thing I can think of.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
jww9618
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Increase the "batch sparge using batches that fill" box to 150%. That's the only way I know to force the single sparge.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
hops2it
Recipes 

Hey thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
Gtrfrk182
Recipes 

i had some trouble with when i changed my recipe to batch sparge, it wouldnt change on the brew sheet. so i changed it to what i wanted then switched to a whole different recipe, then re opened the recipe i was trying to fix. then it worked for me.
hope that makes some sense

Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 AM   #9
hops2it
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrfrk182 View Post
i had some trouble with when i changed my recipe to batch sparge, it wouldnt change on the brew sheet. so i changed it to what i wanted then switched to a whole different recipe, then re opened the recipe i was trying to fix. then it worked for me.
hope that makes some sense
That's exactly what it ended up being. It's a bug in 2.0. Brad is aware of it and its on the list for a quick fix per his post on the Beersmith forums.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I found that if the only box I have checked is batch sparge using batches that fill 100%, the brew sheet will show batch sparge with 1 step.

It's almost like the drain mash tun before sparging check box is working the opposite way it should. i.e. I think when checked its adding the mash water (mash tun not drained) and sparge water and that volume is overfilling the mash tun, thus it requires two steps.

Chris

Quick Reply