Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Questions about ibrewmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Islandboy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Questions about ibrewmaster

Picked up this app for my iPad two days ago. I've read through the user manual, and think I understood most of it, but I have a few questions.

1. When setting up your equipment in the app they want to know what your volume loss is for your MLT. Just to clarify, are they referring to the dead space beneath the false bottom, or the wort that remains below the pickup tube level?

2. In the mash schedule, there are two that I don't understand. One is an infusion in, but there is also an infusion out. I assume infusion in means your mash in, but what is infusion out?

3. I was playing with the batch scaling. I got some errors messages I was curious about. It would say "can't scale batch yeast would exceed maximum." I've also had error messages for the hops or boil amount being exceeded. Shouldn't some of these (especially your yeast pitch rate, and hoops) scale along with the scaling of the grain bill? Also, I didn't get a bug report, but it crashed a few times while scaling. It just closed the program, but didn't lock up. Anyone have that issue before?

4. I've not been able to find anything on a water profiler. Is there even a place to put your local water profile? It would be nice if you could put your profile in, and the app would automatically tell you what additives to put in for different beer styles you brew.

5. I saw somewhere that it's supposed to get an inventory tracking part on the next version. Any idea when it will be released?

Well, I'm off now to go play with my new app some more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
MikeMetroka
Recipes 

Well I was waiting for some responses but you didn't get any. I too recently got iBM.
As far as I can tell, if this helps...

1. I think they just mean total left behind wort. The default .5 gal. seems acceptable.
2. I would think infusion out is mash out. Raise temp to stop enzyme activity.
3. I have not gotten any errors scaling batches. Which recipe and what is new batch size?
4. I do not see a water profile either, disappointing.
5. I have not heard of a release date for inventory.
Probably not too helpful but I would like know these things too.
Mike

Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMetroka
Well I was waiting for some responses but you didn't get any. I too recently got iBM.
As far as I can tell, if this helps...

1. I think they just mean total left behind wort. The default .5 gal. seems acceptable.
2. I would think infusion out is mash out. Raise temp to stop enzyme activity.
3. I have not gotten any errors scaling batches. Which recipe and what is new batch size?
4. I do not see a water profile either, disappointing.
5. I have not heard of a release date for inventory.
Probably not too helpful but I would like know these things too.
Mike
It gave me error with both my own recipes and programmed ones. Granted, I was scaling the batch to something like 600 gallons for fun, but I also got errors as low as 30 gallons. According to the program info it should be able to scale up to 240 pounds of hops and 1.1 tons of grain. It just seems like the yeast didnt scale.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It would be very cool also if this program could convert extract recipes to all grain too

Old 01-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Wow! I emailed customer service with the same questions and I got a response within 30 minutes! Way to go ibrewmaster. Here is what the email said.

"Hey Caleb,
1) The bottom line is this: If you have 5 gallons in your MLT and you drain it, how much comes out? if it's only 4.7, then you have a loss of .3.
2) You can define these anyway you want. Infusion Out typically means a water infusion as a Mash Out...thus at a higher temperature. However, it's really just a title for users to keep straight the differences. So you can really define them however you want, rename them, adjust the temps, etc., etc. to customize them for your brewing techniques.
3) We are planning on expanding the yeast section. Right now, it only supports up to 9.99 yeast packages. We want to include larger amounts, yeast pitching rates, yeast starters, etc., etc. However you are scaling it, it must be trying to set the yeast packages greater than 9.99. Just set the yeast packages to .1, scale it, then set the yeast packages how you want it.
4) Nope...not yet. In the future, however. We just keep adding and adding and adding. I don't see any end to the app! Inventory is next, then syncing, then additional tools, then we'll see where we are at and what the demand is.
5) Soon! :-D
6) Not yet...another feature that's been asked for recently....we have the conversion formulas...it's just a matter of prioritizing the features we add.

I hope you enjoy the app otherwise! Please consider posting a quick review or rating on iTunes...we always appreciate the support!

Let us know if you have any other q's!

Cheers!
Joe"

By the way, question six was 6. Is there a way to convert extract brews to all grain brews?

Quick Reply