Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Question about Beersmith 2 and batch sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
elganso
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
But I like to read
Then, here you go.

Looks like you get a slight efficiency bump from a double sparge. For me personally, I'd rather just add a little extra grain and not waste the time, but YMMV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wow.. that's a heck of a wiki page.. I'll be trying to wrap my head around that for a while thanks.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

there is virtually no efficiency gain from multiple sparge additons. Denny has proved it and my own experience bears it out, too. the only reason to do it is if your mash tun cant handle a large single sparge addition.

there is also little-to-no benefit from letting a sparge addition rest. just add the water, stir, and vorlauf/drain. its just rinsing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
Roadliner
Recipes 

ok.. So I should just add the 2 sparge additions together in one round.. then drain, and it'll be easier/ have really no effect/ save time. I like that idea lol.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner
ok.. So I should just add the 2 sparge additions together in one round.. then drain, and it'll be easier/ have really no effect/ save time. I like that idea lol.
if it will fit, yes

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #16
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
I have set up Beersmith two different ways. The first set up allowed for two sparges of equal volume. I then decided to forgo the two and do one, larger sparge and move on with my life.

There is an adjustment, and I believe it is found in the mash tun volume area that allows for a sparge volume calculated at a percentage of mash tun volume. Play with that and I think you will work it out.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #17
beergynt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Under mash settings, you can adjust so that it doesn't give you that annoying 2nd sparge...

Old 12-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #18
Roadliner
Recipes 

Thanks beergynt! I didn't even see that setting. One more quick question, which I think I know the answer to. I guess I was wrong on my cooler size when I pulled it out of the attic. It's only 5 gallons. So I'll have to do more batches. Not that big a deal I guess.

But Now that BeerSmith shows me using 2 more batches. I can't see what temp they should be.. Is it just the same as my mashin? It just says Batch sparge with 3 steps, (Drain Mash Tun, 2.35 gallons, 1.85 gallons.)

screen-shot-2012-12-02-12.29.35-am.jpg  

Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
tre9er
Recipes 

Essentially you'd sparge with about 180* water at first, to raise the grain bed to 168 (if you believe you want to do a mash-out, I think it's really inconsequential for homebrewers, personally) then just use the rest of the sparge water at whatever temp it is, probably in the 160's. I use 180* water and do one giant sparge. If you're doing multiple, I'd probably let it cool for the second sparge where your gravity is lower and PH starts to become a potential factor.

Quote:

Quick Reply