Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Question about Beersmith 2 and batch sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
ohallerman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about Beersmith 2 and batch sparging

I will do a batch sparge on next brewing day for the first time and have read that you should add 10-15% more grain to your grain bill. I assume that you do this without adding more water volume.

In Beersmith 2 I try to use the Scale recipe function and lower the efficenty to e.g. 68% which only result in more grain and more water. Do you know a way to add more grain to the grain bill without Beersmith 2 automatically calculate more water volume?

Many thanks for your help and guidance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

More grain equals more absorption, thus more water needed to yield same final volume. Can't really avoid that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im actually having the opposite trouble. Beersmith is telling me to use 4.98 gallons of water for my mash. Which makes no sense to me because i should be getting somewhere around 6.5 gallons to boil, right?

Seems after absorption i will have to top off with way too much water and end up with a weak beer.. and i was planning on needing to use about 7 gallons based on 2 quarts per pound i read in how to brew

This is my first ag AND my first time using bs2, so its a little confusing i guess lol

Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
Im actually having the opposite trouble. Beersmith is telling me to use 4.98 gallons of water for my mash. Which makes no sense to me because i should be getting somewhere around 6.5 gallons to boil, right?

Seems after absorption i will have to top off with way too much water and end up with a weak beer.. and i was planning on needing to use about 7 gallons based on 2 quarts per pound i read in how to brew

This is my first ag AND my first time using bs2, so its a little confusing i guess lol
Yes, first infusion is probably 4.98g for the mash, but there should be another infusion for sparge (maybe multiple infusions). I hate the printouts from BS. Not very easy for newbies to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 596 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 160

For the mash you will put in 4.98 gallons in and will only get 3 something out because of the water absorbed by the grain.

You also have to adjust the profile to your equipment and how much wort gets left behind in each stage.

Your sparge will then add to your volume partially based on your expected boil off rate.

I collect right around 7 gallons preboil to end up with 5.25 into the fermenter.

Take notes on how much volume you get at each step and record it. It will probably take a few sessions to fine tune the settings. I have done about 15 batches on BS2 and I am still working things out.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Roadliner
Recipes 

I think I might have figured out where I'm misreading it.

It says Mash in 4.98 gallons at 170.4 F for 45 min
Batch Sparge with 2 steps (2.98, 1.82) of 168 F

So does this mean I do 3 batches basically? one at 4.98 for 45 min, drain, Another at 2.98, drain, and then a final at 1.82? If so then I can read it now lol.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 596 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 160

That is how I read it.

On the last couple I just did a single sparge.

I measured the wort collected from the mash then used enough sparge to get to 7 gallons. It came out the same as the previous batches and ended up with an OG .005 low. All my last 4 batches have been .004 or .005 below predicted.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Roadliner
Recipes 

Awesome. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
elganso
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
So does this mean I do 3 batches basically?
Sort of. Your mash is likely 4.98 for 60 minutes then vorlauf then drain first runnings. Then Sparge #1 for 10-15 minutes, vorlauf/drain 2nd runnings then Sparge #2 for 10-15 minutes, vorlauf/drain 3rd runnings.

Since you are batch sparging (and assuming you have enough cooler space to hold it), you could just throw all ~5 gallons in and just do a single sparge and call it a day; the current Mash Profile you are using likely just shows the 2-step sparge process.

The "mash" tab is the place where this lives, but the User Interface for this is not intuitive. I personally find that Beersmith as a pretty high learning curve due to strange UI choices and its reliance on "brewhouse efficiency". I'm still trying to dial in my batch size/water volumes to get the results I expect. It does its job though where it needs to though.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Roadliner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elganso View Post
Sort of. Your mash is likely 4.98 for 60 minutes then vorlauf then drain first runnings. Then Sparge #1 for 10-15 minutes, vorlauf/drain 2nd runnings then Sparge #2 for 10-15 minutes, vorlauf/drain 3rd runnings.

Since you are batch sparging (and assuming you have enough cooler space to hold it), you could just throw all ~5 gallons in and just do a single sparge and call it a day; the current Mash Profile you are using likely just shows the 2-step sparge process.

The "mash" tab is the place where this lives, but the User Interface for this is not intuitive. I personally find that Beersmith as a pretty high learning curve due to strange UI choices and its reliance on "brewhouse efficiency". I'm still trying to dial in my batch size/water volumes to get the results I expect. It does its job though where it needs to though.
I'm using a 10 gallon cooler, so that would hold the 5 gallons easy. I was planning on making a false top to lower my temp loss from dead space. How will it affect flavor if I do one sparge vs. 2?

I'm noticing that high learning curve. But I like to read, so I'll be searching for info probably all night. I love this forum though, so much info to take in.

Quick Reply