New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > qBrew - Recipe Calculator With Mr. Beer Database

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
AugustDerleth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wait, what is that for? I had no problem installing or running qbrew on OSX. . .

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #22
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustDerleth View Post
Wait, what is that for? I had no problem installing or running qbrew on OSX. . .
It's for if you want the updated ingredient database. If you go to the Screwy Brewer website, just under the download qBrew link there's a link to download the latest database.

On-Deck: Grodziskie; Session IPA; Saison Americaine; Mosaic Pilsner

Kegged: Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 12-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Aha! Thanks- is there a way to "show" hidden folders/files in OSX? I'm brand spankin new to mac...don't so much like the fact that I'm locked out of administrative capabilities without MUCH more run around than a PC. >_<
as a graphic design majour however, the mac comes in damn handy--

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #24
ScrewyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I like this program and I appreciate it being freeware! One question: Under TIME on the hops tab, is it asking the time that the hops are actually in the wort? Or at what time they go in? It seems like it would be referencing how long they are cooked, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks!
AugustDerleth it asking for the TIME you will boil the hops for. If I were adding bittering additions I would enter 21 to 90 minutes, for flavor 8 to 20 minutes and for aroma 7 minutes or less.

Remember to adjust your Alpha percentages to match what's listed on your current hop packaging, as these percentages will vary from season to season.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #25
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Aha! Thanks- is there a way to "show" hidden folders/files in OSX? I'm brand spankin new to mac...don't so much like the fact that I'm locked out of administrative capabilities without MUCH more run around than a PC. >_<
as a graphic design majour however, the mac comes in damn handy--
How familiar are you with using the Terminal? If there's something hidden that you desperately want to edit, just open Terminal and you can view from there (to view, use 'ls -a'). OS X comes with the VIM editor, so you can edit with that.

There's also the "Go" menu in Finder, if you know the exact location. Click Go -> Go to Folder and enter in the path to the Folder you want.

Lastly, you can change the default in Terminal, or if you prefer a graphical interface, there are a few "enhanced" system preference/admin tools out there (including some freeware) that would enable you to show all files, including hidden files with just the click of a button.

Just open Terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

To reverse the change, change the TRUE to FALSE in the first line (and mind the caps: it's case-sensitive!)

I would say this however: if you opt to show all files, you could easily delete something you may need. Part of the reason OS X has hidden files is so users can't screw things up too badly.

Bottled: "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 12-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #26
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
...don't so much like the fact that I'm locked out of administrative capabilities

Sorry, just noticed this part. Again, this is where Terminal is your friend. You can tweak pretty much any setting from Terminal, including customizing your shell, compiling software, editing system files. Again, just be VERY CAREFUL! The sudo command is a good thing, but say you type 'sudo rm -r /' and accidentally hit ENTER instead of finishing the path. Well, you've just deleted everything on your hard drive...

You can also enable the root user, but again, unless you REALLY know what you're doing, just don't.

/

Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
ScrewyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The January 2011 qBrew database update is now available at www.thescrewybrewer.com, get your free update today!

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #28
pocketjr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Could I offer a suggestion? On Mac OS X (and other Unix-based operating systems) any file or folder that starts with a . are considered system files and, at least in the case of OS X, are by default invisible. How about including the file without the . before the name and include in the instructions to add the . before replacing the other file? For those who know how to use the Terminal it's an easy fix, but not everybody is willing or able to use it. Here's how:

Mac OS X installation instructions:

In a Finder window, locate qBrew (/Applications/qbrew). Ctrl+click or right click the application and click "Show Package Contents." A new window will open; navigate to Contents/Resources, locate the qbrewdata file and rename it to qbrewdata-orig. Leave both Finder windows open for future steps.

Unzip the .qbrewdata file from the screwy-qbrewdata.zip file you downloaded. Open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type the following:

(Assumes your download folder is /Users/*yourname*/Downloads)
This changes you to the Downloads directory:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads
This lists the contents of the folder, -a will make sure to show hidden files; you can skip this step, but I included so you can make sure the file is there. It should be toward the top of the list:
Code:
ls -a
This renames the file, removing the . before the name:
Code:
mv .qbrewdata qbrewdata

In your original Finder window navigate to your Downloads folder and find your newly renamed qbrewdata file and drag it into the Resources folder in the other window.

Restart qBrew.

Thanks!
When I download the update the file never says .zip and when I try to open it I get an empty finder folder, and the eye button up top says the folder is "53kb, no items". What do I do?
Sorry, I just got my MacBook for christmas.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #29
ScrewyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have uploaded the latest qBrew database file for the MAC, you can use the link below to download the latest database updates.

Click here to download the January qBrew database update....

MAC users: Extract the compressed 'qbrewdata-MAC' file and then copy it to the qBrew program directory as '.qbrewdata'
overwritting the current '.qbrewdata' file. Run qBrew and you should see the latest updates.

"Mac OS X and other Unix-based operating system files or folders that starts with a . are considered system
files and, at least in the case of OS X, are by default invisible."

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #30
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketjr View Post
When I download the update the file never says .zip and when I try to open it I get an empty finder folder, and the eye button up top says the folder is "53kb, no items". What do I do?
Sorry, I just got my MacBook for christmas.
I'm assuming whatever web browser you use automatically unzips the file. Especially if you're using Safari, you probably won't notice. Do this:

1.) Open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
2.) Type cd ~/Downloads/"foldername"/ where "foldername" is the name of the qbrew folder (qbrewdata?) without quotes.
3.) Type "ls -a" again without quotes, and you should see " . .. .qbrewdata "
4.) Type "mv .qbrewdata qbrewdata" This will remove the . from in front of the filename making it visibile in the Finder window.

Let me know if that works.

Quick Reply