Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > qBrew - Recipe Calculator With Mr. Beer Database

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscrazed2 View Post
I already had it installed. I was wondering if there is any software actively in development for linux? I can run beersmith in wine but would prefer a native app
StrangeBrew is written in Java and is pretty decent IMHO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The November 2010 qBrew database update is now available at www.screwybrewer.com, get your free update today!

qBrew - Homebrewers Recipe Calculator

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 11-13-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Interesting, I loved this little piece of software, but stopped using it because the DB was so out-of-date, and the project seemed dead. I've been using BrewTarget, but I like having more than one piece of brewing software for comparison. Could I request Bravo hops for the DB? Thanks.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 11-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have added the Bravo hop variety to the database, it will be available in the December update. You can add or edit the database yourself by navigating to the 'Tools -> Database Editor' of qBrew and then clicking on the 'Hops' tab.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

November qBrew Tip: If you want to add up all the IBUs for your hop additions, enter all your hops before adding in your grains.

As you add in your grain additions, qBrew's built in formula will begin subtracting the malt's sweetness from the hop's bitterness in order to indicate the balance of the recipe.

The formula qBrew uses to calculate this balance is the same one used by my Bitterness Balance Calculator to display the recipe's overall balance between hopped bitterness and malt sweetness in a hopped beer style.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I like this program and I appreciate it being freeware! One question: Under TIME on the hops tab, is it asking the time that the hops are actually in the wort? Or at what time they go in? It seems like it would be referencing how long they are cooked, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscrazed2 View Post
I already had it installed. I was wondering if there is any software actively in development for linux? I can run beersmith in wine but would prefer a native app
My team and I are actively developing Brewtarget for linux, mac, and windows. It is free and open-source. See my signature.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustDerleth View Post
I like this program and I appreciate it being freeware! One question: Under TIME on the hops tab, is it asking the time that the hops are actually in the wort? Or at what time they go in? It seems like it would be referencing how long they are cooked, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks!
AugustDerleth the times entered are for how long the hops will be boiled, such as 30 minutes for bittering, 12 minutes for flavor and 7 minutes for aroma.

Click for more detail...qBrew

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 12-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #19
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The December 2010 qBrew database update is now available at www.thescrewybrewer.com, get your free update today!

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #20
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Could I offer a suggestion? On Mac OS X (and other Unix-based operating systems) any file or folder that starts with a . are considered system files and, at least in the case of OS X, are by default invisible. How about including the file without the . before the name and include in the instructions to add the . before replacing the other file? For those who know how to use the Terminal it's an easy fix, but not everybody is willing or able to use it. Here's how:

Mac OS X installation instructions:

In a Finder window, locate qBrew (/Applications/qbrew). Ctrl+click or right click the application and click "Show Package Contents." A new window will open; navigate to Contents/Resources, locate the qbrewdata file and rename it to qbrewdata-orig. Leave both Finder windows open for future steps.

Unzip the .qbrewdata file from the screwy-qbrewdata.zip file you downloaded. Open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type the following:

(Assumes your download folder is /Users/*yourname*/Downloads)
This changes you to the Downloads directory:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads
This lists the contents of the folder, -a will make sure to show hidden files; you can skip this step, but I included so you can make sure the file is there. It should be toward the top of the list:
Code:
ls -a
This renames the file, removing the . before the name:
Code:
mv .qbrewdata qbrewdata

In your original Finder window navigate to your Downloads folder and find your newly renamed qbrewdata file and drag it into the Resources folder in the other window.

Restart qBrew.

Thanks!

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Quick Reply