Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > putting together a spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default putting together a spreadsheet

i have been waiting for beersmith mobil and thought I would put together a spreadsheet for now. I would like to be able to list my malt amounts by % and have the base malt field change to make up the difference, can anyone help me with this?

damn I gotta brew something

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
shanty
Recipes 

I've got a spreadsheet I put together. Feel free to use it, or copy the info from it. http://shantybrewery.blogspot.com/p/my-cheapo-brewsheet.html

It doesn't do exactly what you want, but you can work around it. In the "%" tab, fill in your specialty grains and sugars/adjuncts via percentage. In the % column for your base malt type =1-SUM(B16:C23,B26:C28). This will automatically fill in your base malt percentage.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty
I've got a spreadsheet I put together. Feel free to use it, or copy the info from it. http://shantybrewery.blogspot.com/p/my-cheapo-brewsheet.html

It doesn't do exactly what you want, but you can work around it. In the "%" tab, fill in your specialty grains and sugars/adjuncts via percentage. In the % column for your base malt type =1-SUM(B16:C23,B26:C28). This will automatically fill in your base malt percentage.
checked out your link, it looks good but I wasn't working.

damn I gotta brew something

Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

SO you want to put recipes in by percentage and have the weights populated for you, right? Should be easy enough.

I also have a spreadsheet, passed-down by a long-time brewer who got it from another, etc. I use it exclusively and it serves me well. Took some times getting it dialed-in for my system though.

One thing everyone should be aware of is potential extract of base malts, though. If you can get the lot info, do the math. Some malts are listed at 37 for instance when recent lots are coming out nearer to 35. Makes a big difference when you use 20lbs. of malt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I think the issue with what you're asking is that without knowing the total pounds of grain in the bill, you can't come up with how many pounds 80% of the grain bill is, for example. 80% of what? 80% of how many total pounds? You have to start with total pounds or find a way to work off efficiency and OG in order to get the percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
zakleeright
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I created a spreadsheet based on the info from "Designing Great Beers". It has worked well for me.
You start by entering your target volume and gravity, so it calculates total GU's.
Then enter your efficiency of your system, and percentages.
There's also a hops calculator, so you can get the IBU's right if your LHBS has different AA% than some recipe you may be trying to recreate.
It might seem a bit cryptic if you haven't read the book...but that's a good excuse to read the book! :-)
I tried to upload it here but wouldn't let me.
Try this link:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzneedOZ049Ba0VqTnVyVkpkUkk

- zakleeright

Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
millstone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killian View Post
Try clicking on the icon just below "Thanks to my wife's server" not the "Download here", worked for me.

tom

Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
shanty
Recipes 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by millstone View Post
Try clicking on the icon just below "Thanks to my wife's server" not the "Download here", worked for me.

tom
Not sure why it wasn't working. Both links go to the same address. Seems to be fine now.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
shanty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I think the issue with what you're asking is that without knowing the total pounds of grain in the bill, you can't come up with how many pounds 80% of the grain bill is, for example. 80% of what? 80% of how many total pounds? You have to start with total pounds or find a way to work off efficiency and OG in order to get the percentage.
I designed my spreadsheet to take care of that: input wort volume, starting gravity, and percentage of each malt. Excel takes care of the rest.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
i have been waiting for beersmith mobil and thought I would put together a spreadsheet for now. I would like to be able to list my malt amounts by % and have the base malt field change to make up the difference, can anyone help me with this?
Are you asking for Excel help? You mean you want to adjust the % of malt, and have the "pounds" of malt update automatically? Shouldn't be too hard. You will need one other part of the equation - a total weight. So you'd have to enter in "11 pounds" for the grain bill (5 gallon batch) and then if you entered 80% base malt, it would be fairly simple to spit out 8.8 lbs base malt. If I am understanding you correctly.

I built my own spreadsheet and I enjoyed doing it. How to Brew and Designing Great Beers were amazingly helpful.

Quick Reply