Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Online Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All of these calculators can be found for free online, but most of them aren't in the same place. Having them in the same place would be great. I already paid for my BTP, but I still find little things I wish it had.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well, I've started working on it. When/if it becomes a useful tool I'll update everyone. Thanks for the suggestions and such.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #13
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Only if it does everything BTP or Beersmith does, plus more, with even better implementation. It sounds like a tall order to me.
And support. I can ask Beersmith anything at his site and can expect an answer within a reasonable time. If not from Brad himself, then from the many that assist in supporting him and his product, including myself.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #14
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer View Post
And support. I can ask Beersmith anything at his site and can expect an answer within a reasonable time. If not from Brad himself, then from the many that assist in supporting him and his product, including myself.
Support is something that I knew would be very difficult for me. Of course, if it was actually successful I could make it my full time job. At this point I think it will be a learning experience to help me understand more about beer and hopefully something useful will come out of it.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
ERock101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WillPall -

I have had the same thought numerous times now. I still think it's a great idea, but I also think that there is a very good reason that the current selection of online brew recipe software is as limited as it is. Quality web software that looks and feels like it's a native app is far more challenging and time consuming to write than a standalone client app. My full time job is a web developer and I honestly think that replicating all the advanced features of an app like BeerSmith on the web would take a team of 2-3 developers working part time the better part of a year to complete.

Also, I wouldn't even dream of starting such a project until the BeerXML 2.0 standard is complete. http://www.beerxml.com/
Once that is complete all the schema work is done. We would just have to create the same schema in SQL, MySQL, or whatever. Plus, if there is a real modern standard then that would give users the ability to upload their existing recipes into the online database, or download recipes and import them into client apps like BeerSmith.

This is personal preference, but I would only undertake a project of this magnitude using an object oriented language such as C# or Java. Yes I know PHP5 supports classes, but it still isn't a true OO language.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck. I am very curious as to what you will create. If you want a second set eyes or some help feel free to PM me.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
Horst
Recipes 

http://www.kwbg.nl/brodeluxe

Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Why does beerxml look like a beersmith side project? Beersmith seems pretty sloppy imho.

Edit* didn't see this was an old post.

Quick Reply