Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Online Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Online Brewing Software

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a web-based brewing software suite. I've thought several times about creating one myself. There are many online recipe calculators and such, but none of them have the range of features of BeerSmith or ProMash. While I don't know if it's even possible for me to do it on my own, there's no point in starting if everyone is going to keep using BeerSmith.

It would most likely be a free, ad-supported site. The goal is to include all, if not more, of the features of the popular desktop softwares, but in a platform-independent manner.

So, anyone interested?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Something like Beertools? Their online version has everything the downloadable version does other than a few calculators and amounts of ingredients you can use.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wish I knew c, I would have done something as well by now. I really like that qbrew is FOSS and has ports for win/mac/lin, but it is lacking in features.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Something like Beertools? Their online version has everything the downloadable version does other than a few calculators and amounts of ingredients you can use.
I didn't know they had a free online version. Yes, something of that type, but with more features than just the calculator. Things like BeerSmith's ability to convert an AG batch to extract, or a hop calculator for changes in age and AA variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
I wish I knew c, I would have done something as well by now. I really like that qbrew is FOSS and has ports for win/mac/lin, but it is lacking in features.
Well, since my goal is an online application, I will most likely be programming it in PHP with MySQL and some Javascript trickery. If you were thinking of writing a cross-platform desktop application you should try Java. Works on everything, and is very easy to pick up if you aren't already familiar with it.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPall View Post
I didn't know they had a free online version. Yes, something of that type, but with more features than just the calculator. Things like BeerSmith's ability to convert an AG batch to extract, or a hop calculator for changes in age and AA variation.

Well, since my goal is an online application, I will most likely be programming it in PHP with MySQL and some Javascript trickery. If you were thinking of writing a cross-platform desktop application you should try Java. Works on everything, and is very easy to pick up if you aren't already familiar with it.
But java is the devil. I hate it. (not writing, but the actual implementation. I know of no java program that isn't a fat piece of ****.)

Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
But java is the devil. I hate it. (not writing, but the actual implementation. I know of no java program that isn't a fat piece of ****.)
I'm a product of a newer software generation, but I personally love Java. Stupidly easy garbage collection, out-of-the-box cross platform support. At any rate, I won't be writing this in Java.

So, do you think there's a market for this application?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Only if it does everything BTP or Beersmith does, plus more, with even better implementation. It sounds like a tall order to me.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Only if it does everything BTP or Beersmith does, plus more, with even better implementation. It sounds like a tall order to me.
A very tall order indeed. Like I said, I probably won't even start unless I think there will be a market.

I just know that, as a college student, every purchase I make has to be carefully decided on. Even something as small as $20 for some brew software ("I'm brewing just fine now, why pay for something else?"). Personally, I would just love to be able to go to a website and have all the tools I needed, whether I'm brewing at home or at a friend's, for free.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
z987k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPall View Post
I'm a product of a newer software generation, but I personally love Java. Stupidly easy garbage collection, out-of-the-box cross platform support. At any rate, I won't be writing this in Java.

So, do you think there's a market for this application?
if it's free and has all the tools the platform dependent software does, you'll get people for sure.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
matthendry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have a look at Hopville's Beer Calculus .

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/

Quick Reply