Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > OG in BeerSmith vs NB Kit

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
CyclingCraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somerset, NJ, New Jersey
Posts: 75
Likes Given: 1

Default OG in BeerSmith vs NB Kit

I am brewing my first all grain this weekend, it is the NorthernBrewer Irish Red kit.

Here are the Gains specified in the kit.
7.5 lbs. Rahr 2-Row Pale
0.75 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Briess Special Roast
0.125 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
0.125 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate

This is what I put into Beersmith(Don't know if I translated properly from kit to BS):
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.62 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.56 %
4.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 2.85 %
2.1 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 1.48 %
2.1 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.48 %

The OG from the Kit says 1.040, but beersmith says 1.045?
(I have brewhouse eff set at 75% in BeerSmith).

Which one is correct and which should I be shooting for?

Thanks
-Craig

__________________
CyclingCraig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,385
Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Default

Well, 75% might be a bit high for a first Ag, but it's doable. Maybe plan on 70% for your first one, just to be on the safe side. Since you have the kit, you probably have a decent crush (or do you have your own mill?) so you might do better than 70%, but that's a good place to start.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
CyclingCraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somerset, NJ, New Jersey
Posts: 75
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Well, 75% might be a bit high for a first Ag, but it's doable. Maybe plan on 70% for your first one, just to be on the safe side. Since you have the kit, you probably have a decent crush (or do you have your own mill?) so you might do better than 70%, but that's a good place to start.
The grains are NOT crushed, I actually have a brand new Barley Crusher waiting to be used

But to get to 1.040 like the Kit States, the eff in beerSmith needs to like 60% ??
__________________
CyclingCraig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,385
Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Default

When I put it in Beersmith, I get 65% efficiency for 1.040, and 75% for 1.047. You should be in there somewhere, so I wouldn't worry about it. Do you have Beersmith set at the top for "all grain"?

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,739
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingCraig
Which one is correct and which should I be shooting for?

Thanks
-Craig
...both are "correct" and neither is applicable to a large degree.

What is important would be what your typical/average efficiency % is and you'll figure that out over the course of your next few batches. Once you know your %, you will be able to predict the results of a given recipe brewed on your rig. As I dialed my rig and techniques in when I started AG, my efficiency went from 65-75~78%. An example would be a typical BYO recipe is quoted with a 60% effi and you would adjust the grain bill based on your average efficiency.
__________________
brewt00l is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
CyclingCraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somerset, NJ, New Jersey
Posts: 75
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
...both are "correct" and neither is applicable to a large degree.

What is important would be what your typical/average efficiency % is and you'll figure that out over the course of your next few batches. Once you know your %, you will be able to predict the results of a given recipe brewed on your rig. As I dialed my rig and techniques in when I started AG, my efficiency went from 65-75~78%. An example would be a typical BYO recipe is quoted with a 60% effi and you would adjust the grain bill based on your average efficiency.
Ahhh.. OK, now I get it.. I will just Brew.. then update beersmith with my Pre-boil Gravity and Volume, along with post Boil Gravity and Volume and over a couple of batches I will see what my "general" eff is! Once I get a feel for it, then I can adjust reciepies for my system.
__________________
CyclingCraig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I buy Beersmith? syd138 Brewing Software 76 05-15-2012 08:53 PM
beersmith help sunblock Brewing Software 3 05-22-2009 10:04 PM
a beersmith wtf Thor the Mighty Brewing Software 9 03-10-2009 07:04 PM
What did I do to my Beersmith? Amiaji Brewing Software 4 08-10-2008 02:35 AM