Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > New Water Chemistry Calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
larrybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default New Water Chemistry Calculator

Hello fellow brewers! Here is the newest online water chemistry calculator:
Brewing Water Chemistry Calculator | Brewer's Friend

One unique thing about this one is it goes into flavor balance and warns of harmful ppm levels (both to the beer and to human health). It also converts grams of brewing salts to teaspoons automatically. I've tried it on Windows in IE7 and FF3, but I have not checked in on Mac or Linux yet.

Later I'm going to add an optional feature so you can save your local water profile in a browser cookie.

Let me know what you think. I'm happy to improve it based on your suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybrewer View Post
Let me know what you think. I'm happy to improve it based on your suggestions.
Well, since you asked... A couple minor things.

1. The "Update Target" on line 3 should probably be a different color to draw attention to the fact that it's a button. It currently looks like a text field.

2. The "Source Minerals" on line 4 obviously doesn't take into account the dilution with distilled water. Would it be possible to add a line that displays the levels of the diluted water?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
Well, since you asked... A couple minor things.

1. The "Update Target" on line 3 should probably be a different color to draw attention to the fact that it's a button. It currently looks like a text field.

2. The "Source Minerals" on line 4 obviously doesn't take into account the dilution with distilled water. Would it be possible to add a line that displays the levels of the diluted water?
Will do. I had the line for diluted levels programmed but decided to remove it because I wanted to keep the screen as simple as possible. Plus, my water is practically distilled anyway so I personally wouldn't use it. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Thanks, Larry... I just used this to calculate my dilution/mineral content for an ESB. I will admit that I'm jealous of your water, though... my profile is as follows:

Ca++: 67
Mg++: 20
SO4--: 42
Na+: 31
CL-: 39
HCO3-: 211

It's the last one that kills me...

One other thing, now that I think of it (sorry for taking this a little off-topic, but I'll bring it back around). I use Campden (1/4 tablet per 5 gallons), which is sodium metabisulphite, to ensure there is no chloramine in my water. I'm not sure of the chemistry behind how Campden removes the chlorine, but does the amount of sodium and sulfite added here have a measurable effect on Na+ concentration, or does the sulfite somehow convert and/or affect the sulfate concentration? If so, I have NEVER seen a calculator that takes into account.

Last edited by jpc; 03-29-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Awesome site. Love all the other info. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice site. Thanks.

What's the target profile for a IIPA? Do I just use "custom target" and enter the ideal water profile for that style?...then compare with water that I'm using?

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Very nice! Works perfectly on Mac FF3.

Only thing I'd suggest is adding NaCl to the list of salts.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bah humbug! My water is worthless.

No matter how I jigger with it, it's still crud. Stouts and porters are what I'm stuck with. Alkalinity is off the charts high (~392ppm by HC03)

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
Thanks, Larry... I just used this to calculate my dilution/mineral content for an ESB. I will admit that I'm jealous of your water, though... my profile is as follows:

Ca++: 67
Mg++: 20
SO4--: 42
Na+: 31
CL-: 39
HCO3-: 211

It's the last one that kills me...

One other thing, now that I think of it (sorry for taking this a little off-topic, but I'll bring it back around). I use Campden (1/4 tablet per 5 gallons), which is sodium metabisulphite, to ensure there is no chloramine in my water. I'm not sure of the chemistry behind how Campden removes the chlorine, but does the amount of sodium and sulfite added here have a measurable effect on Na+ concentration, or does the sulfite somehow convert and/or affect the sulfate concentration? If so, I have NEVER seen a calculator that takes into account.
Yeah, alkaline water is not so fun to work with for lighter beers, but you can make some really great dark beers I bet.

As for the sodium contribution from Campden, I did not look into that. As I understand it, sodium has a brewing range up to 150 ppm. The good news is for your water, adding CaCl2 or Gypsum to re balance levels will not introduce any more sodium.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuurang View Post
Nice site. Thanks.

What's the target profile for a IIPA? Do I just use "custom target" and enter the ideal water profile for that style?...then compare with water that I'm using?
Interesting question, for an IIPA you are shooting for more maltiness than a standard IPA. I'd look at Burton on Trent for hop accent, or the Munich for a malty accent perhaps?

Quick Reply