Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Mash Water Chemistry Calculator - Feedback Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

this should defiantly be re-written in java.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #22
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Mine is actually loaded onto this site so it should never go dead.
Thanks - appreciate it. Roadrunner messed with their web page set up and I can't access my pages anymore to update them.
Primary:
--
Next Up: ?
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #23
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That happens, thank you for making the spreadsheet in the first place!

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #24
axp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just come across this thread. I know its a little old. Has anyone got this to run in Vista using Office 2007? I have the solver add-in installed but when I click on the "click hear to find water adjustments" button I get

Complile error: cannot find project or library.

Any ideas how to solve this? Would be great if I could get this working as its exactly what I'm looking for.

Cheers, Andrew

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish - Walter Sobchak

Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axp View Post
Just come across this thread. I know its a little old. Has anyone got this to run in Vista using Office 2007? I have the solver add-in installed but when I click on the "click hear to find water adjustments" button I get

Complile error: cannot find project or library.

Any ideas how to solve this? Would be great if I could get this working as its exactly what I'm looking for.

Cheers, Andrew
Open in 2003 compatibly mode.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
axp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It opens by default in compatibility mode

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish - Walter Sobchak

Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #27
SCWells72
Recipes 

I can't for the life of me get this working in Office 2K7. I get the same results as above where I have the Solver Add-In activated but I still get the error identified above. When I tried to fix this in the VBA debugger using Tools>References, that option is disabled/grayed out. Any ideas on how to fix this so I can use this spreadsheet?

UPDATE: Never mind. Got it working (or rather a friend did). You have to go into Design Mode in VBA before you can resolve the missing references, and even then you have to delete the existing SOLVER reference before establishing the new one or you get another error. Regardless, I have a version working with Excel 2K7 now.

Last edited by SCWells72; 04-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
SCWells72
Recipes 

I've been contacted by some folks asking exactly how to fix this in Office 2K7 and 2K10. The UPDATE above gives the general instructions, but I'll be more specific. If you get an error like "Compile error: Can't find project or library" in the Visual Basic debugger, you'll need to do the following:

1. Click "OK" on the error dialog.
2. Click the icon that looks like a pencil and a triangle to enter Design Mode.
3. Under the "Tools" menu, click "References..." and you'll see a list of references, some checked and some unchecked.
4. There should be an entry like "MISSING: SOLVER.XLAM". Uncheck that one.
5. If you have another unchecked entry called "Solver", just check that and skip to step 8.
6. If not, you'll need to add it. Click "Browse..." and find "SOLVER.XLAM". For me it was located under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Library\SOLVER" and I had to show all files to find it.
7. Click "OK" on the references dialog.
8. Save and close the Visual Basic window to return to Excel.

It should work now. Please let me know if you try to follow these steps and they don't work so that we can come up with reliable steps for folks going forward.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #29
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 View Post
I've been contacted by some folks asking exactly how to fix this in Office 2K7 and 2K10. The UPDATE above gives the general instructions, but I'll be more specific. If you get an error like "Compile error: Can't find project or library" in the Visual Basic debugger, you'll need to do the following:

1. Click "OK" on the error dialog.
2. Click the icon that looks like a pencil and a triangle to enter Design Mode.
3. Under the "Tools" menu, click "References..." and you'll see a list of references, some checked and some unchecked.
4. There should be an entry like "MISSING: SOLVER.XLS". Uncheck that one.
5. If you have another unchecked entry called "Solver", just check that and skip to step 8.
6. If not, you'll need to add it. Click "Browse..." and find "SOLVER32.DLL". For me it was located under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Library\SOLVER".
7. Click "OK" on the references dialog.
8. Save and close the Visual Basic window to return to Excel.

It should work now. Please let me know if you try to follow these steps and they don't work so that we can come up with reliable steps for folks going forward.
Thanks for the follow up on this - much appreciated! I haven't been on the forums much lately and even if I were, I don't have 07 or 10 and would not be able to come up with a solution as you did.

Thanks again,
BB
Primary:
--
Next Up: ?
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 11-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #30
SCWells72
Recipes 

Default OpenOffice Calc version of Mash Water Chemistry Calculator

Okay, this may be the answer to a question no one was asking, but I "ported" this spreadsheet to OpenOffice Calc using its non-linear program solver extension. Overall it's the exact same algorithm posted by Beercat Brewmeister but using Calc's NLP solver library instead of Excel's. It's slower than Excel's, but it generally reaches the same solution. In order to provide a speed/accuracy trade-off I've added a drop-down that lets you select the optimizer's mode: Speed, Balance, Accuracy. Given the small addition amounts generally found in the solution, I've found that Speed yields very good solutions that don't match Excel's perfectly all the time, and Balance is only a little slower but almost always matches Excel's solutions. I honestly don't see any reason to use Accuracy because it's ridiculously slow, but it represents the default settings for Calc's NLP solver.

If you want to give it a try you'll need to install OpenOffice (minimally Calc) and its NLP Solver extension. Then you'll want to configure Calc to allow unsigned macros by going into Tools>Options>Security>Macro Security... and choosing the Medium setting. Finally you'll need to download my Calc version of the Mash Water Chemistry Calculator. Overall the same instructions apply with the only real difference being the "Mode" selection above the "Click Here to Find Water Adjustments" button.

If anyone tries this out, please let me know if/how it works for you. I think next I'm going to try to merge this with Palmer's spreadsheet for one-stop water chemistry shopping.

Scott

Quick Reply