The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Learning android, writing recipe formulator app

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
JoyousRuction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The file in this location will be updated as I make changes, and I will be doing my best to keep the development version up to date as I make improvements. Hopefully this will change rapidly, the commit messages should give you some idea of what changes have been made.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
opusx11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

download and install went fine (HTC Desire on Froyo, will test on my Galaxy Nexus on Wed when it arrives as well on ICS)

I really like the simplicity of the layout, it will make creating recipes on the mobile much easier than some of the other apps out there for Android

In the create recipe part, the Options button didn't do anything for me (not sure if it is just a placeholder for now).

When I went to save, it looked like it did, but when I go back to the main screen Load doesn't present me with any options (again not sure if it is a placeholder yet)

One comment I will make is now is might be good to adds units of measurement in brackets. When I tried to create a sample recipe, I wasnt clear on whether the fermentables were in lbs or kg or oz.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Brew_Force
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nm, github ho!

Mmm Java... :/

Droid2: install went fine, long load times. Seems like a nice project, but without anything new to contribute. Why not hop on board with an already established project and contribute there, if all you really want is to get your feet wet?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

JoyousRuction,

I see you have given Rocketman thanks on the splash screen. I hope you are attempting to make this compatible with BrewTarget.

I currently keep my .xml files on DropBox. This allows me to "Just run" BrewTarget from whatever computer I am near without worrying about importing the latest version of my database files. If you could support something like that I would be giddy like a school girl!

I understand that it may not work and would also be happy to just import a recipe .xml on brew day.

My "Home Draft" Mini Kegerator

Fly safe, soar high, go far...\__________O__________/

Old 01-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
JoyousRuction
Recipes 

As I said earlier this is still really preliminary, things like import and export and options are not done yet, saved items only show up when you reload the app, timers are not in, etc etc etc. I have only been at this a little while, and most of that was learning the API's.

The advantage to feedback at this stage is that massive refactoring is not a daunting task yet, I am still very flexible.

This is all based on XML, my intent is to be able to handle all recipes in that format.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
JoyousRuction
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_Force
Nm, github ho!

Mmm Java... :/

Droid2: install went fine, long load times. Seems like a nice project, but without anything new to contribute. Why not hop on board with an already established project and contribute there, if all you really want is to get your feet wet?
No... Scala!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
Brew_Force
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyousRuction

No... Scala!
Ah! Then my declaration was completely unnecessary!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #18
PKLehmer
Recipes 

I like where you're going so far! Couple comments (hey you wanted advice right )
-The biggest thing I noticed right off the bat was how long it took to load. My phone actually timed out before it loaded the main menu.
-When you load a recipe there are no units. I'm sure you're probably planning on making it compatible with imperial and metric units, but until theres an option, you should put the units in to limit confusion.
-I'm assuming the recipes are based off of a 5 gallon batch? There's no options to change that, and just looking at some of your quantities I have to assume it's based off of that size of a batch. That should be an option at some point.
-There doesn't seem to be a way to "edit" an ingredient. So if I'm building a recipe and I want to see what would happen if I do 2 oz of hops instead of 1 oz, I would have to delete it and then add it again right?

Just a couple things I noticed right off the bat. I really like where it's going though! Its better than a couple other android based brewing calculators I've used. I also use an Android phone and a tablet. I haven't loaded it on my tablet yet, but I'm guessing it won't look as great, but will probably work fine?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
JoyousRuction
Recipes 

I have not tried a tablet yet, but I am sure I will at some point.

Options for units are in my plan, right now I am working on importing XML files and I have a temporary patch for the units and a fix for the newly saved file not showing up with the back button. I will make a new build once recipe importing is in place.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
JoyousRuction
Recipes 

Should I make the bjcp styles more obvious in the recipe formulation page? Did anyone try swyping and find that yet ?

Quick Reply