Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Iphone software for recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Barnesie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't think anything holds a candle to beeralchemy for UI, but I've gotten into a few situations where my calculations in Beer Alchemy were wildly different from BeerSmith or even some of the online tools.

I haven't figured out if it's a process error on my part of a flaw in the program.

I've been working in IT for a while now using some widely different proprietary UIs...BeerSmith is probably the worst designed program I've ever had to use and BeerAlchemy is light years ahead of it. That being said, there are some things that are missing in BeerAlchemy that might cause me to take a look at iBrewmaster some day.

I know BeerSmith is working on the iOS version, but if it's anything similar to the desktop version, I'll stay far away.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
jkellner29
Recipes 

Default thanks

Thanks to all great feedback,

Also for those in need...
Just messaged ibrew support to see if they cover extract to AG, they stated they plan on it in a few months with another release, that would also be a great feature......

Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
shoshin
Shoshin Picobrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Sorry to buck the trend, but brewPal has been great to me. No built in recipes, but plenty of ingredients, timers to help you with the process from mash to bottle, sparge temp calculator, priming sugar calculator, abv calculator, and some other neat bells and whistles

Primary: Pumpkin Dubbel, Belgian Quad
Secondary: Belgian Dubbel
Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale, Witbier, Rye IPA
Bottled:
-RIS
-Sweet Brown Porter
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2013)
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2014)
-Olde Ale

Up Next: IIPA, English Mild, Vienna Lager, Dry Stout

Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
lombard
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Question regarding iBrewMaster. I typically brew all grain utilizing a single infusion mash based on the wiki here. Does it (or any other iOS app) calculate the proper water temperature and volume to add to the grain bill for the mash?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombard
Question regarding iBrewMaster. I typically brew all grain utilizing a single infusion mash based on the wiki here. Does it (or any other iOS app) calculate the proper water temperature and volume to add to the grain bill for the mash?
iBrewmaster does calculate the proper strike temp for single infusion mash. The trick is to avoid losing temp to heating your cooler. To do this I heat the strike water to iBrewmasters temp + 10F. I add the strike water to my cooler and let it sit for 15-20 minutes with the lid on. I then open up the cooler and stir until the water drops to the proper strike temp. Then I add my grain stir and hit my target.

Since lots of stirring is good for efficiency I add 3F to iBrewmasters strike temp. I do this by setting the field "Mash Tun Temp Loss" in the mash profile to 3F.

When i add the grain I stir the mash until the grain bed temp is at my desired mash temp.

If you are really good you can set the "Mash Tun Temp Loss" to include the temp lost from heating the cooler. I don't do that since the number will vary by season since I store my mash tun in the garage. If you keep your mash tun at a constant temp (in the house) this may work pretty well.

Good luck.

Quick Reply